Jobs at:East African Community Secretariat
Deadline of this Job:
08 October 2021
Date Posted: Friday, September 17, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
East African Community Secretariat
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat:
Grade: Professional staff Category (P1)
Reports to: Directorate of Finance
Organ/Institution: EAC Secretariat
Duty Station Arusha, Tanzania
Main Purpose Of The Job:
The main purpose of this job is to facilitate efficient and effective financial administration and management of all funds of the "East African Community Regional Network of Public Health Reference Laboratories for Communicable Diseases Project".
Duties And Responsibilities:
• To manage the designated (Special) Account opened in a Commercial Bank by the EAC Secretariat;
• To manage and administer all the funds of the "East African Community Regional Network of Public Health Reference Laboratories for Communicable Diseases Project" in accordance with the existing EAC Financial Rules and Regulations and also the donor specific financial disbursement and reporting guidelines;
• Validate payment vouchers, cheques, local purchase orders for all transactions as well as other relevant expenditures;
• Reconcile ledger accounts and follow up of imprest given to staff;
• Monitor and ensure that enough funds are available in the project account and initiate disbursement and/or reimbursement requests to donors once the minimum threshold is reached;
• Maintain regular and timely accounting records and prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports;
• Prepare financial reports for accountability of the funds disbursed and analysis of accounts so that decision makers receive timely and accurate information;
• Assist officers of the project to prepare budgets for the activities requested;
• Monitor the expenditure of project funds with a view to ensuring that the amounts budgeted for, under each expenditure head, is not exceeded;
• Prepare payments and allowances for the implementation of the various activities of the project;
• Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the EAC;
• Prepare annual budgets and financial reports/statements of the project in liaison with the technical officers of the various EAC Organs, Institutions and Sectors and also relevant officers in the EAC Partner States' National Ministries responsible for Health as well as the National Public Health Reference Laboratories for Communicable Diseases for presentation to the EAC Council of Ministers and the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA);
• Prepare and consolidate multi-year and annual work plans, budgets and technical narrative and financial reports for the EAC Partner States and various international development partners involved in the implementation of various activities of the project;
• Maintain ledgers and implement strong internal control systems in order to facilitate timely financial reports, budget and accountabilities;
• Prepare monthly cost comparison reports for budgetary control and account for the programme expenditure and its disbursement against budget codes and relevant budget of the "East African Community Regional Network of Public Health Reference Laboratories for Communicable Diseases Project";
• Maintain the asset register and their depreciation schedules of the project;
• Manage credit levels for various debtors and creditors and follow-up for payments and refunds where applicable;
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the EAC Director of Finance and EAC Secretariat Management from time to time;
• Ensure payments to contractors are being effected according to the relevant supply and service contracts and establish an adequate internal control system;
• Keep records of all disbursements affected out of the Deposition Fund according to the supply and service contracts financed out of the deposition funds and the cost categories agreed upon;
• Support the PEA in establishing request for replenishment of the Deposition Fund in order to maintain an adequate liquidity position;
• Establish the Statement of Expenditure (SOEs) to be sent to KfW as evidence of the use of fund together with relevant supporting documents Ensure regular and periodic audit of the Deposition fund by an independent Auditor on the basis of the Terms of reference provided by
• Bachelor's degree either Accounting, Finance, Business Management from a recognized University
• Must have professional qualifications i.e. CPA (K), CPA (U), CPA (T), ACCA, ICPAU, etc or equivalent
• Proven relevant accounting experience of not less than five (5) years
• Proven experience in managing cash flows above US$ 500,000 and working with projects funded by donors especially Financial Institutions like the German Development Bank, African Development Bank, the World Bank, or others will be an added advantage.
Skills And Competencies:
• Must be proficient in various Computerized Financial Management Information Systems such as the Sun System Accounting Package, Navision, Sage Pastel, and other computer packages.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in multicultural environment and ability to plan and manage own work, including managing conflicting priorities for timely completion of the assignment,
• Self motivated with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Good team player, flexible, honest, innovative and person of high integrity
• Experience of working in challenging environment and effectively dealing with people from different cultures, race,s and backgrounds
Terms And Conditions Of Service
This is an EAC regional level health sector project staff position with a duration of three year contract subject to satisfactory performance and availability of donor funds.
Educations And Qualification
• All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
• All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 8th October , 2021 .
• You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
• Applications that do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates, or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
• Only qualified candidates will be contacted
• EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age
• EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.