African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
Deadline of this Job:
30th April 2019
Date Posted: 18th April 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Currency: RWF , Value: 400000 , Minimum: 280000 , Maximum: 1200000 , Period: MONTH
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a Pan-African network of centres of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centres were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in the United Kingdom, Germany, and Canada.
AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Collectively, AIMS centres provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
The AIMS Rwanda Centre Communications Manager will primarily be responsible for contributing to the development of the Centre’s internal and external communication strategy with heavy focus on raising the profile of and connecting the AIMS Rwanda Centre to the public. S/He is responsible for the quality, frequency and delivery of AIMS Rwanda’s communications with a range of stakeholders and audiences (Government Institutions, industry stakeholders and partners, the general public) via a range of print, broadcast and digital formats including social media.
In this role and reporting to the Centre President, AIMS Rwanda, the Communications Manager will create a practical and measurable communications and public engagement strategy for the AIMS Rwanda Centre, create and implement an internal communication strategy for AIMS Rwanda including management of newsletters, ensure that AIMS Rwanda communication outputs are of a high standard, respond to the needs of the target audience, and are delivered within agreed budget and timelines, advise AIMS Rwanda staff regarding communications with stakeholders and develop Key Messages.
As the ideal candidate, you will design and implement the AIMS Rwanda’s public engagement programs and ensure perfect alignment with the Centre Strategy, create and maintain media list and regularly pitch stories to local and regional media, engage Media on a regular basis on specific activities and events, manage media for all AIMS Rwanda events and programs and design and develop content for and disseminate the Centre Newsletter.
This is a full-time opportunity based at AIMS Rwanda Centre in Kigali.
Do you have what we need?
• Masters’ Degree in Communications / Public Relations/Marketing/Journalism or other related fields
• 5+ years of experience in communications, Public Relations or Journalism with Private Sector or International NGOs in Rwanda
• Powerful communicator with high-level writing, editing, and proofreading skills, preferably combined with ‘investigative’ skills
• Demonstrated digital content production skills, including video and static content for social media, web sites and news channels
• Experience in writing and content production for a range of stakeholder groups
• Extensive experience with Government body
• Experience planning, managing and executing successful communications campaigns
• Understanding of social media dynamics & use for impact communication
• Ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment
• Bi-lingual (English/Kinyarwanda); must be able to speak and write Kinyarwanda
• Knowledge of French is an asset
• Effective team player: Meet deadlines, put out fires, multitask. Work fast and work well with others
• Experience handling highly confidential information in a professional manner
• Issues engagement: Stay engaged in global news, trends and emerging issues
• Self-sufficient proficiency with MS Office and Internet applications
• Be prepared to work outside of normal working hours due to the geographic spread of the Network and the need to be flexible and responsive to the media environment
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?.
Job Responsibilities: Not Specified
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
Submit your letter of motivation; including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org (i.e. quote “Communications Manager” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until April 30, 2019.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.