Country Director - Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
03 September 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Laterite is looking for an experienced professional to provide strategic direction, oversee research projects, and lead and mentor research teams in our office in Kigali, Rwanda.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. Our clients include, for example, the World Bank, USAID, TechnoServe, Promundo, the Mastercard Foundation, and several UN agencies.
Our network of offices currently includes the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. The team brings together more than 60 full time local and international staff, as well as 1,000 enumerators across countries, in a dynamic work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at: www.laterite.com
Job Description & Key Responsibilities
Laterite was founded in Rwanda in 2010, and Kigali is our oldest and largest office, both in terms of team size and volume of work. The team in Rwanda comprises about 10 researchers (from entry-level Research Analysts to Research Managers), 15 data collection experts, 3 data quality specialists, and a finance and admin team. Our project portfolio in Rwanda is varied and ranges from data collection (including mixed-methods studies with observational assessments or anthropometric measurement modules) to long-term learning partnerships. The Rwanda team works across all our key sectors with the majority of projects in education, public health and early childhood development topics.
Within this context, our Country Director in Rwanda is responsible for:
• Overseeing office operations, including contributing to corporate strategy, process improvements, and financial and personnel management.
• Building and managing the pipeline of research projects, turning internal research ideas into externally funded projects and designing evaluations for clients. • Developing and managing relationships and communication with Laterite clients and government officials.
• Taking a lead in identifying opportunities for organizational growth and innovation, be it from a technical, learning or business perspective.
• Providing technical leadership in all aspects of our work, including on program and impact evaluation design, sampling methods, and data analysis and modelling. • Supporting the development of our research team, including coaching, mentoring and/or training to develop their skills.
• Maintaining and promoting Laterite’s office culture, sustaining a very friendly and collaborative atmosphere, a fast-working pace, high standards and a strong desire for innovation and learning.
We are looking for an accomplished researcher with experience managing complex projects, growing research or business pipelines, and leading and mentoring teams.
• Masters or PhD degree in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors.
• 8 years of experience managing complex projects, growing research or business pipelines, and leading and mentoring teams.
• Strong quantitative data analysis skills and proficiency in Stata
• Strong oral and written communication skills in English
• Experience living and working in different cultural settings
• Motivation to work in social and economic research in Rwanda
In addition, we welcome:
• Previous work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, self-motivation and drive to flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable.
• Knowledge of Python and/or R
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
We invite you to complete our application form: https://form.jotform.com/212343650410543 and submit your CV and a cover letter describing your experience in leading teams of researchers in development research projects, as well as your experience in leading an organization, department, or program, including financial and operational management.
We will contact successful applicants to discuss next steps.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply ASAP.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.