Finance & Accounting Lead
Jobs at:Mastercard Foundation
Deadline of this Job:
06th November 2019
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based across four hubs in Toronto, Canada, Nairobi, Kenya, Kigali, Rwanda, and Accra, Ghana. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance youth learning in Africa. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
The Foundation believes that youth employment is key to unlocking prosperity, both for youth and their societies. By enabling young women and men from disadvantaged communities to secure and sustain decent work, we will enable tangible and intrinsic improvements to their well-being. By 2030, we want to see an Africa where young people, particularly young women, have decent and fulfilling work. Where everyone can acquire the education and skills, they need to find meaningful work and contribute to their societies. Where everyone is financially included and has access to relevant, affordable, and local financial services that they need to manage their daily lives, grow their businesses, and achieve their dreams. Most importantly, we want to see an Africa with a thriving private sector and where governments address the needs of their populations through well-designed and implemented policies and programs, and where the continent is self-reliant and driving its own development.
The Foundation values innovative and fresh thinking as it strives to become a global thought leader. Its work is achieved by a strategic, nimble and adaptable team with a proactive and results-oriented approach to its philanthropic activities. The organization’s culture is shaped by people who are driven and passionate about the Foundation’s mission.
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Accounting, East Africa based in Nairobi, the Finance & Accounting Lead, Rwanda, will lead the Foundation’s financial operations in Rwanda. This is an opportunity to influence and support our growth in Africa.
A key element of this role will be building the accounting, finance and operations infrastructure in Rwanda as part of a multi-year growth strategy. This will include recruiting and training an Accounting team and Finance Leads who are responsible for managing financial matters related to our programs in Rwanda, developing our systems, procedures and internal processes, liaising with our country representatives with respect to operational matters, and helping to manage our relationships with external parties such as our bank and the local tax authorities. You will also be the primary Finance contact for the Country Representatives in the region.
As the scope and scale of our work in Rwanda grows, the Finance and Accounting team, structure and processes will also change. Your ability to be flexible and adaptable, and your willingness to support wherever needed, are critical to our joint success. .
• Responsible for financial management of country program portfolios
• Be the primary Finance advisor and team contact for Country Representative in Rwanda
• Oversee full-cycle management of partner contracts, i.e. Expression of Interest (EOI) à proposal and budget à contract approval à program execution and monitoring à program completion
• Adopt a risk-based approach to assessing programs and partner contracts, and ensuring proper stewardship of Foundation resources
• Respond to innovative program interventions with new and creative solutions to meet Foundation goals
Accounting and Operations
• Oversee the development, implementation and management of the accounting and finance infrastructure for the Foundation’s new regional office in Rwanda, including systems, accounting practices, policies and procedures.
• Build, support and/or manage relationships with external parties such as banks, local tax authorities, payroll service providers and legal counsel.
• Co-ordinate with the Toronto accounting team to ensure tax compliance for the Rwanda office, including statutory direct and indirect taxes filings and audits.
• Manage local insurance coverage and policies.
• Support month-end and year-end closing and assist the Toronto accounting team with the annual financial audit and any audits required in Africa.
• Work with the Financial Planning & Analysis team with the budgeting and forecasting activities.
• Manage the creation of procedure manuals as new offices become operational.
• Work closely with and support the Toronto staff with respect to facilities and IT to ensure our Rwanda office has what is required from this perspective.
• Recruit, develop and provide coaching and leadership to the Operations team as the Foundation expands and operations become more complex.
• Lead other ad-hoc projects, as required.
Reporting and Analysis
• Ensure ongoing accuracy of database tracking partner commitments and disbursements
• Provide monthly reporting and analysis to Head of Finance & Accounting, East Africa, and to the Country Representative on program expenses, partner disbursements, cash flow projections, value for money, and other ad hoc reports as needed
• Prepare overall budget and forecast data for the country program portfolio
• Travel across Africa and to Canada (10-15% – higher during initial set-up)
• Other duties and responsibilities as required
• Professional accounting designation with a university degree in accounting or a related field. MBA an asset.
• Minimum 7 years in progressively senior financial roles within large and/or global organizations, with at least 3 in a management capacity.
• Experience in grant/fund management strongly preferred. Previous work in the development sector an asset.
• Experience building capabilities and capacity of accounting and operations teams in high growth organizations including supporting expansion in multi-jurisdictional and multi-currency environments.
• Ability to assess risks and exercise judgment in making important decisions.
• Innovative and able to formulate new or creative approaches to problems.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
• Professional maturity and sensitivity to working within different cultures.
• Impeccable integrity.
• Travel required 10-15% throughout Africa and to Toronto.
Job Education Requirements: Professional accounting
Job Experience Requirements: 7 years
Job Skills: Not Specified
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.