Finance and Administration Manager
Jobs at:The Pharo Foundation
Deadline of this Job:
30 November 2020
Date Posted: Monday, November 09, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as the UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia and Somaliland and is now looking to expand into Rwanda. The key strategic pillars for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation also started its Social Ventures franchise to prioritise sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing self- sustaining businesses, which focus on job and economic value creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational head office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa) and Somaliland (Hargeisa) with further expansion plans in East Africa.
The Finance and Administration Manager (FAM) is a senior leadership role within the Foundation. The position will be based in Kigali Rwanda, with regular travel to programme regions within the country once these are established. Reporting to the Country Representative Rwanda, this well-remunerated role will give the right candidate an excellent mix of challenges, motivation and fulfilment.
Working closely with the CFO (Nairobi) and Finance Manager (London), the FAM will be responsible for providing the highest in-country direction, oversight and management of all finance and administrative aspects in the programme office.
The role presents a wonderful opportunity for a genuinely driven, curious and passionate individual who desires to affect real change. A confident individual who takes a dynamic, innovative and forward-thinking approach to their work. Who respects and understands local cultures and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
Role: Finance & Administration Manager (Rwanda).
Reporting to: Country Representative (Rwanda) and Chief Finance Officer (Nairobi).
Functional Relationships: Head of Education (Rwanda), Head of Human Resources (Rwanda), Finance Manager (London), Head of Human Resources (Nairobi), Director of Education (Nairobi), Heads of Programmes, CEO-Social Ventures, (Nairobi) and Office Manager (Rwanda) .
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage and take overall responsibility for core financial, administrative, logistical and IT functions of the programme.
• Provide leadership and direct line management to the programme team.
• Assist the Country Representative (CR) to ensure that there is a robust internal control environment; policies and procedures that safeguard the assets of the Foundation, and that improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the Foundation.
• While respecting their autonomy and independence, effectively engage with, support and monitor partner agencies, who will have the primary role of implementing the programmes.
• Represent the Foundation in external forums where appropriate and when agreed by the CR.
• Comply with other relevant financial policies and procedures as they are developed internally and those specific to Rwanda.
• Any other duties as agreed with the CR.
• Prepare programme and country financial reports in accordance with the Foundation’s reporting requirements for submission to the London and Nairobi offices.
• Prepare and regularly update administration and programme budgets and other financial reports and analysis as required by the CR and the London and Nairobi offices.
• Assist the CR to manage the administration and the programme budgets.
• Submit monthly and other regular and one-off reports to the London and Nairobi offices in agreed formats and by agreed deadlines.
• Oversee the development and regular updating of financial systems and procedures within the Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
• Manage cash flow ensuring sufficient funds are available in the bank for the smooth operation of the programmes.
• Coordinate the development of budgets for new proposals in close liaison with the CR and London Office.
• Assist Programme Managers and the rest of the programme team in the preparation and interpretation of the programme accounts and other internal reports.
• Review and bring to the attention of the CR/CFO any financial systems matters, which are unclear and require clarification or major decisions.
• Organise and manage annual audits in liaison with the London and Nairobi offices.
• Keep abreast of developments in the regulatory and legal environment related to finance, taxation and other relevant matters and bring any major developments to the attention of the CR that could affect the Foundation’s operation in Rwanda.
• Ensure that the programmes receive efficient, effective and timely administrative and logistical support.
• Regularly update the office procedures manual and ensure that the provisions have been implemented fully.
• Ensure that best practice has been followed in the procurement of all materials and services.
• Protect and safeguard the Foundation’s assets through proper safety, insurance, security and other procedures.
• Maintain comprehensive asset registers for the Foundation and for each programme.
• Strong and charismatic individual with solid pedigree and experience of setting up centres of excellence within a finance function.
• Superb management skills: able to manage and motivate a wide variety of employees from diverse backgrounds in a professional and compelling manner.
• Respect and understand the local culture and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
• Problem solving and creative thinking skills: the ability to get results in unstructured environments, solid record of accomplishment for growing businesses and implementing best practice policies and processes.
• Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills driven to succeed and make a difference.
• Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination.
• Ability to plan ahead and anticipate any financial roadblocks or issues and therefore plan the actions to help avoid the setbacks or face them confidently.
• The ideal person should possess BSc degree and a recognised professional accounting qualification (ACCA, CIMA, ACA); a postgraduate degree an added advantage.
• Minimum of 10+ years relevant experience in a similar modern and busy working environment, at least three of which were as a Finance Manager or Chief Accountant for a medium to large international organisation.
• Experience of using computerised accounting software.
• Attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
• Excellent communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• A self-starter, capable of working independently.
• Capable of a rapid and quality turnaround of a high workload and multiple tasks.
• Positive outlook and outgoing personality with solid interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
• Capable of managing the delicate balance between getting programmes implemented through partners while respecting their autonomy and independence.
• Commitment to the capacity building of local institutions based on mutual respect and a collaborative approach.
• Passion for Africa and good familiarity with the continent.
• Ability and willingness to travel often to programme regions.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
The deadline for application is the 30th November 2020.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: email@example.com 1. A detailed CV and Cover Letter 2. A 1,000-word essay on:
• What financial leadership experience have you gained that indicates that you are the most qualified candidate for the role?
• A statement briefly summarising how you will go about setting up the administration and financial management functions of a brand new office in Rwanda (max. 500 words).
A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.