Local Financial Officer
Jobs at:The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
Deadline of this Job:
20 November 2020
Date Posted: Monday, November 09, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Functional title: Local Financial Officer
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is an associated entity of the University of Basel in Switzerland working in global health, with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Swiss TPH combines research, services, education, and training with the aim of improving health and wellbeing of populations through a better understanding of disease and health systems. Swiss TPH has over 700 employees contributing to its mission worldwide.
The Swiss Centre for International Health, a department of Swiss TPH, is represented in Rwanda through its Kigali regional office to oversee Swiss TPH research and project implementation in the Great Lakes region. Recently, the regional office has expanded its portfolio. To fill accounting needs, the Kigali regional office is looking for a Local Financial Officer to support the office financial requirements in coordination with the senior accounting staff in Basel, Switzerland. The position is based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will be locally contracted.
The local Finance Officer is expected to support the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH), Kigali regional office in all activities related to on-going projects by ensuring proper implementation of financial and accounting procedures as detailed in the office manual. The Finance Officer must have a strong accounting background and a detailed understanding of financial procedures and cash management within an NGO setting. .
• Conduct the local financial management for the on-going projects managed by the Swiss TPH regional office in Kigali in conjunction with the head office in Basel
• Assist Swiss TPH management in ensuring proper financial oversight of programs and adherence to donor financial management requirements
• Undertake all actions related to tenders, acquisitions, contracts, and payments as directed by the Regional Office Coordinator, Senior Basel based project leaders, and the Program Manager
• Track the distribution of funds in direct relation to budget allocations
• Monitor local cash accounts and request funds as needed from Basel
• Account for office expenses
• Prepare monthly local financial statements for review by senior accounting staff in Basel
• Any other financial duties assigned by the project leaders and regional coordinator in collaboration with the administrative assistant.
Required skills and experience
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration or other related relevant discipline, CPA preferred
• Minimum 5 years of relevant finance experience working with international NGOs working in a multi-cultural setting
• 3 or more years of direct finance and accounting experience including knowledge of cash management, financial reporting, and budgeting.
• Knowledge of procurement practices and bid proposals in compliance with local requirements
• Working experience in coordinating with overseas offices including monthly financial reporting requirements
• Ability to multi-task across multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and French (examples of written products required)
• Demonstrated integrity, competence, and commitment to the vision, mission, and goals of Swiss TPH
• Acceptance and sensitivity to cultural, gender, religious, and ethnic diversity
• Commitment to results-based management and reporting
• Proven networking, team building, organizational and communication skills
• Computer proficiency (word, excel, power point, financial reporting software.).
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Travel: The position requires occasional visits to regional field offices. It is anticipated that travel will be less then 10% of the time.
Employment period: January 1 – 31 December 2021
Remuneration: This is a local hire position. Swiss TPH offers a competitive salary based on a predetermined pay scale as well as comprehensive health care coverage through the Rwanda Health Insurance scheme.
Swiss TPH is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Rwanda.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CV) showing contact details including email, telephone/cell phone numbers, and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
This is a rolling application process. Candidates will be reviewed when completed applications are received.
All applications must include a CV, cover letter (1 page maximum), and three references.
Applications should be emailed to: Edith Uwimanzi Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
Kigali, Gasabo, KG 501 ST 9 Email: email@example.com
The subject line should read: Local Finance Officer
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.