Jobs at:GIZ Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
16 November 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
National Advisor for NDC-Support to Ministry of Environment for Policy Dialogue and Knowledge Management on low Emission Development Strategies Project The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy, and ICT (Information and Communications Technology). Rwanda developed an ambitious Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) as a country driven climate action plan aimed at implementing the Paris Agreement. The plan covers a broad range of selected mitigation and adaptation interventions in various sectors including agriculture, forestry, water resources, land-use, disaster management, renewable energy, off-grid electrification, transport, industry, and waste. Rwanda’s NDC implementation plan is aligned with national priorities, including the national climate agenda that is consolidated in the Green Growth and Climate Resilience Strategy (GGCRS) that was the primary basis for the development of the NDC. The Ministry of Environment (MoE) and MINECOFIN serve as focal points for sector coordination and monitoring of NDC implementation on behalf of the GoR to ensure the effective and efficient contribution of each involved sectors in actions that create impacts leading to the achievement of keeping a global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius In this regard, the Environment and Natural Resource Sector Working Group (ENR SWG) established a structure that provides strategic orientation, technical support as well as resource mobilization to the environment and natural resources sector targets. The ENR sector is composed by seven ENR sub-sectors that are forests, meteorology, environment and climate change, land, mining, petroleum & gas and integrated water resources management and green fund that constitute key pillars of the SWG. Through the Sector Working Group, Government officials, private sector operators, civil society organizations and all donors identified for their involvement in the ENR sector and specific technical expertise, review and discuss the achievements, challenges and new opportunities related to programs in ENR sector and resources available and the NDC implementation is an integral part under this framework. In this regard, the ENR SWG is chaired by the MoE represented by the Permanent Secretary and Co-Chaired by the Germany Embassy represented by the German Head of Cooperation and both have the responsibilities to ensure successful NDC implementation by providing strategic orientation and technical support as well as resource mobilization to the priorities in the NDC program. Recognizing that NDC adaptation and mitigation actions and strategies will be implemented through various stakeholders’ interventions, the Ministry of Environment expressed the importance of having strong coordination of NDC stakeholders by avoiding overlaps and building synergies in various interventions and requested a national expert for NDC support to advise both Chair and Co-Chair on priorities of the sector and coordinate all NDC related programs and projects. The expert will be a senior expert with full understanding of the ENR sector interventions with specific alignment to the newly revised NDC. The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) has decided to finance the NDC support to the Rwandan Government through the project “Policy dialogue and knowledge management on low emission development strategies” (DIAPOL-CE). Location: Kigali Fixed-term: November 2021 (12 months with a possibility for extension) The National Advisor for NDC support to MoE performs the following responsibilities: .
The National Advisor for NDC support will be placed for an initial period of one year within the MoE to advise on and coordinate the implementation of the NDC programs and projects with a particular focus on priorities established by the ENR Sector Working Group and coordination with other German (BMU/BMZ) funded projects dealing with NDC-implementation to avoid redundancy. This work will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
• Provide advices to the Chair and Co-chair of the ENR SWG for effective functioning and coordination of ENR SWG;
• Provide strategic orientation to the implementation of NDC interventions across sectors;
• Support the MoE for NDC coordination of all stakeholders with priorities established by the ENR SWG;
• Work in close collaboration with coordinators of NDC projects and programs to be updated on ongoing activities and advises for the coherence and alignment with NDC overall implementation;
• Liaise with the economic advisor on green recovery in MINECOFIN to ensure achievements of NDC targets are prioritized and budget performances across all stakeholders are highly satisfactory.
The National Advisor for NDC support to MoE performs the following tasks:
The National Advisor for NDC support will mainly be expected to support the Chair and Co-chair of ENR SWG in coordination of NDC implementation through coordination of all NDC related programs and projects and advices for both Chair and Co-Chair on priorities of the sector. These expectations will be concretized in the following tasks:
Management and operational tasks
• Proactively plan and organize working sessions with NDC projects coordinators across ENR subsectors, Private Sector Organisations (PSO) as well as Civil Society Organisations (CSO) to discuss NDC implementation plans in their respective areas;
• Elaborate a comprehensive monitoring framework for NDC implementation including all ENR sub sectors and key stakeholders with NDC interventions in both mitigation and adaptation measures;
• Develop/avail projects tracking tools tailored to NDC projects to build capacities of NDC projects coordinators across ENR sub sectors, PSOs as well as CSOs;
• Provide biweekly report to MoE Permanent Secretary for guidance on NDC priorities, funding opportunities and collaborate with line departments in the Ministry to ascertain the implementation progress for NDC projects, identify challenges and advise on remedial measures;
• Provide on the job coaching and mentoring to the MoE SPIU staff responsible of project management to enhance their capacities in ensuring effective projects oversight including NDC projects;
• Occasionally and upon request facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogues and meetings where both Chair and Co-chair of the ENR SWG are entitled to lead or provide guidelines with regards to ENR sector priorities.
• Provide an executive brief to MoE senior management meeting on a regular basis.
• Provide bi-monthly reporting to GIZ by participating in the DIAPOL-CE team calls. Further reporting to GIZ will be envisaged on demand.
Coordination and networking
In his/her daily work, the National Advisor for NDC support will be expected to liaise with other technical expert within the MoE and stakeholders across ENR sub sectors, PSOs as well as CSOs with specific interventions related to NDC, and accordingly, the following will be his/her deliveries:
• Actively engage with the fund mobilizer for NDC implementation under UNDP support to get a comprehensive picture of ongoing projects and in pipelines ones for informed advices to Chair and Co-Chair of the ENR SWG;
• Actively engage with the economic advisor in MINECOFIN under BMU/GIZ support to coordinate the opportunities for including NDC targets in the short, medium- and long-term national policy planning, and to adjust costing of the revised NDCs, based on the COVID-19 crisis;
• Organize/Participate in quarterly coordination meetings with all NDC project coordinators to discuss the progress against the NDC project implementation plans in their respective areas across ENR sub sectors, PSOs as well as CSOs;
• Represent MoE in all NDC forum where he/she will Participate upon invitation;
• Foster international networking through GIZ virtual collaboration (e.g. by participating in international GIZ exchange platforms on NDC implementation, by contributing to thematic work cloud meetings).
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications and Professional experience:
• Master’s degree preferred in a relevant field such as economics or financing.
• Experiences in environment/natural resources management and rural development, agricultural economics, project management are desirable;
• Minimum of eight (8) years of work experience at senior position in Government institutions or working with development partners in related fields such as environment and climate change, project design, monitoring and evaluation, cost-benefit analysis and associated methodologies, and strategic planning;
• Experience in proposal development/capacity building (mentoring and coaching)
• Detailed knowledge of environment and climate change in the Rwandan /developing country context, and wider international development agenda is a definite advantage;
• Experience of working with multilateral climate funds and international climate initiatives funding facilities;
• Experience of dealing with policymaker’s/development partners;
• A working relationship and understanding of diverse cultures, priorities, and contemporary needs of the Government/private sector in the context of capacity building;
• Ability and/or experience to influence change to institutional landscape and processes;
• Excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal communications skills;
Other knowledge, additional competences
Additional competences include but not limited to competencies in management and leadership and concretely:
• Build a strong relationship with MoE and stakeholders, focusses on impact and results for MoE and stakeholders, and respond positively to feedback;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and in a positive constructive attitude;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity;
• Ability to lead effectively, coaching and mentoring;
• Proven network, teambuilding, organizational, and communication skills
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates, and references) until 16th November 2020 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to email@example.com The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview. GIZ Office Rwanda KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu P.O. Box 59, Kigali,Rwanda GIZ Office Rwanda reserves all rights!!
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.