Partnerships and Development Finance
Deadline of this Job:
6th February 2019
Date Posted: 30th January 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full-Time , Currency: RwF
With the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at its core, and in response to the General Assembly resolution 71/243 on the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system, the UN Secretary General’s report (December 2017) “Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: our promise for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet” puts forward a comprehensive proposal on further improvements to the resident coordinator system to ensure more coherent, accountable and effective support for the 2030 Agenda. This was further reinforced by General Assembly resolution 72/729 of 1 June 2018, which gave the Secretary-General the mandate to implement the repositioning. A reinvigorated resident coordinator system is at the centre of a repositioned United Nations development system, and while the system has been instrumental in driving coherence on the ground over the past four decades, it is now insufficiently robust to respond to the needs of the 2030 Agenda. The report stresses that resident coordinator offices will need to be adequately staffed to ensure sufficient substantive capacities to lead United Nations country teams. The core capacity will include expertise in coordination and strategic planning, economics, tailored policy support, results monitoring and evaluation, and strategic partnerships, plus a robust standing communications capacity within the United Nations country team. This post is part of this new generation of resident coordinator office, with the new skillset and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Development Coordination Officer-Strategic Planning/Team leader, the Partnerships and Development Finance Officer will work in a medium size of large office to support in the design, management and implementation of the One UN Partnerships and Development Finance Strategies which are geared towards realization of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The officer will also support, coordinate and guide resource mobilization for the UNDAP/F while providing advice on Financing for SDG Acceleration. The position is located in the UN Resident Coordinator Office in Rwanda.
The officer will work in close collaboration with relevant UN Agencies through the UN Country Team (UNCT) and the UNDAP/F Results Groups (as per the Delivering as One (DaO) approach) and members of the Resident Coordinators Office (RCO). The officer will maintain close working relationship with relevant Government officials, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and development partners ensuring successful implementation of One UN Partnerships Development Finance strategy. The specific deliverables or tasks of the post will be reviewed annually.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to Strategic Planning and Coordination of UN Partnerships
• Lead the development and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy in alignment with and support of the UN Development Assistance Plan/Framework in the country;
• Review and refine the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to anticipate changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to make midterm adjustments;
• Support the RC/UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related with specific partnerships, and suggest mitigation measures as relevant;
• In accordance with UN regulations and procedures, provide advice on due diligence processes of potential investment and partnership opportunities;
• Provide strategic guidance and support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives;
• Influence the debate with partners to improve development assistance policies and practice;
• Liaise and coordinate with UN entities at country, regional and HQ levels, to help package and define UN's case(s) for support and differentiated value proposition to engage partners, both traditional and non-traditional;
Support joint resource mobilization for the UNDAP/F
• Provide strategic guidance and support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally tailored resource mobilization strategies and initiatives, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
• Manage and provide oversight of all existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships, including high net worth individuals;
• Support design, formulation, and implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes, and joint programming processes amongst UN entities with a view for joint resource mobilization;
• Supportthe production and distribution of marketing materials to raise awareness about the UN's SDG investment capacity;
• In close collaboration with the UN Communications Group, establish and build the UN brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners.
Financing for SDG Acceleration
• In alignment with the CCA/UNDAP/F and MAPS (Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support) and similar processes, provide technical and advisory support on Financing for Development options, instruments, modalities to the RC/UNCT;
• Analyze trends and provide advisory services on new and innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG acceleration;
• Develop briefing papers and discussion points on issues related to financing for development for consideration by RC/UNCT;
• Facilitate engagement with, and guide and support external stakeholders - including national government, international financial institutions and others - on Financing for SDG acceleration;
• Design and execute innovative proposals to strengthen the UNCT's engagement and reputation, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDGs;
• In close collaboration with MPTFO, support the establishment and management of the country-based SDG Fund (where relevant).
Knowledge Generation and Management
• Manage the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to ensure RC/UNCT are informed and positioned to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets;
• Contribute to relevant Knowledge Networks and Communities of Practice at national, regional and global levels
• Strengthen the capacity of UNCTs to mainstream and promote SDG investment partnerships;
• Provide advice in discovery, evaluation and selection of pipeline opportunities at the sourcing and origination stages.
• Undertake other activities relating to the smooth operations of the RC Office
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Planning and Organizing
Commitment to Continuous Learning
A Detailed list of competencies can be accessed through the following link: https://intranet.undp.org/unit/ohr/competency-framework/SitePages/Home.aspx
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to partnerships, project/programme management, resource mobilization or development finance in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
Fluency in English and local language is required. Knowledge of another official language of the UN will be desirable
Job application procedure
Please Click Here to Apply: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=20650&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.