Jobs at:Oxfam Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
31 January 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam in Rwanda was physically established in the 1980s, although prior to that in the 1960s, Oxfam was engaged in delivering the humanitarian response, water and sanitation, conflict management and sustainable livelihoods by funding project work of partner organizations in the country. Oxfam overall vision is just Rwanda without poverty.
Oxfam in Rwanda developed a Five-Year Strategic Plan (2015-2020) based on the comprehensive analysis of the Rwandan context and the power constellations that identify some of the critical barriers to inclusive development in the country and opportunities for change. Therefore, the strategy is centered on interventions that are in line with its mission – to ensure that poor women, men and youth enjoy equal rights and benefit from fair and inclusive development. Oxfam invest where it can add value as the country implements the National Strategy for Transformation and now moving from Vision 2020 to Vision 2050. Oxfam Country Strategy is implemented under four key program pillars, namely: - Sustainable Livelihood, Participatory Governance, Gender Justice and Humanitarian Preparedness and Resilience Strengthening.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are currently recruiting for experienced Rwandan national for the following position: Project Accountant
Location: Based in Kigali – but required from time to time to support Implementing Partners in Oxfam’s operating areas
Duration: One year (renewable)
Level: National D1
The post holder will be responsible of implementation and monitoring of the financial aspects of the assigned specific project, the management of the financial risks and opportunities, and to provide for the appraisal and analysis of the necessary financial aspects of the proposals and reports for donors. The job holder will be reporting to the Project Manager to the Business support lead as Matrix Manager. .
• Prepares the financial management reports based on donor and Oxfam standards, including detailed analysis and submits them to line managers for approval.
• Monitors periodically the approvals, spending and performance of projects and revises the financial planning where necessary.
• Checks and appraises the financial reports and audits of partner organizations, communicate on the findings with relevant decision-makers within the program as well as partners themselves, and where necessary makes proposals for follow-up.
• Responsible for the preparation of all projects’ books of accounts, monthly transactions, bank payments, reconciliations, and receipts.
• Processes supplier and other payments related to the project’s implementation within the agreed terms and follows up with the logistics team to ensure payment is done according to the rules and procedures of EU and Oxfam GB.
• Analyses financial data related to the project to support decision making and cost-effectiveness reviews in the Rwanda programme.
• Prepares project monthly BVAs for programme monitoring and action.
• Informs the Business Support Manager of any major discrepancies or problems and assists in resolving relevant issues/problems.
• Monitors and manages expenditure and budgets for the EU funded projects; provides support to budget holders in using OPAL and CRIMSON systems effectively.
• Ensures proper use and maintenance of computerized financial systems (including the accounts package designed for Oxfam GB purposes, (Peoplesoft),
• Occasionally liaises with external and internal auditors, including follow up of auditors’ queries and recommendations.
• Participates in general management processes including project activity planning, budgeting, fundraising for scaling up the project and reviews.
• Provides adequate partner management support through linking with project team in assessments and monitoring of partner grants utilization.
• Builds capacity of implementing partners especially in areas of finance and compliance with donor requirements
Skills and Knowledge
• Proven experience of operating computerized accounting systems and coding systems. Excellent knowledge of spreadsheet design and use,
• Good understanding of audit methodologies,
• Experience in accounting systems, strong working knowledge of Rwandese and International financial and accounting principles and relevant regulations on tax, VAT etc,
• Manages resources and deadlines with minimum supervision.
• Proven, extensive experience in financial statement preparation and reporting.
• High level of numeracy, accuracy and analytical skills
• Planning, initiative and attention to detail,
• Coaches junior and peer staff.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Responsible, flexible and adaptable.
• Significant experience working in the Rwandan context with existing contacts/networks and relationships with key stakeholders to draw upon
• Strong organizational network experience, with experience working in a learning environment, and an ability to identify clear lessons and important issues that can be shared with others to constantly improve performance,
• An ability to identify opportunities and to develop innovative strategy designs.
• Strong project management skills and ability to deliver results,
• Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse organization,
• Ability to travel frequently and at short notice, including to remote locations.
• Excellent spoken and written English and French; Working knowledge of Kinyarwanda.
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and professional Finance/ accounting qualifications such as ACCA, CPA,
• Minimum of 3- 5 years working experience in the field of Finance/Accounts, preferably with EU and other institutional donors.
• Experience of working with multiple partners, financed by external donors.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Finance
Job Experience Requirements: 3- 5 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications including recent curriculum vitae (CV) with contact details (phone and email address) of their most recent line manager as part of their referees and motivation letter to https://bit.ly/2NVPkSN
The closing date for this vacancy is 31st January 2020
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.