Risk Management Expert
Jobs at:The Development Bank of Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
17 September 2021
Date Posted: Friday, September 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Development Bank of Rwanda is Rwanda’s only National Development Bank mandated to support Rwanda’s development goals. Over the last years, the bank has undergone substantial re-organization aimed at positioning it as an “innovative and sustainable provider of development finance for socio-economic impact”.
To achieve this vision, the bank’s new strategic plan (2018-2024) has outlined 3 key strategic themes.
• Operational Excellence: Continuous improvement of our credit and risk management system, financial performance, and customer services.
• Strategic Partnerships: Forming strategic partnerships to deliver our mandate is a key component of our core activities.
• Dynamic Culture: Continuously improving our pool of knowledge to have the most competent and skilled employees.
To help accomplish this ambitious and exciting vision, the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) would like to recruit suitable qualified candidates under PSPE (Private Sector Participation in the Generation and Distribution of Electricity from Renewable Sources) to fill the following position:
BRD is committed to respecting gender equality and disability norms. We promote gender responsive practices. Qualified candidates particularly females and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
1. RISK MANAGEMENT EXPERT
1. Background Information
Job Title: Risk Management Expert (Hands-on Consultant)
Duo Reports to:
• Functionally to the Chief Risk Officer
• Administratively to PSPE Intervention Manager
Contract terms: 10 months Consultancy on a full-time basis based in BRD HQ with possibility of extension
2. Purpose of the Job
To Provide hands-on coaching, training, and advisory support in the assessment of risks for the banks’ projects – more particularly energy projects risks.
To Develop analytical tools for the identification and quantification of financed projects risks.
To Develop analytical tools for the assessment of all financial and non-financial Risks (Pillar 1 and Pillar 2 Risks)
3. Scope of work
BRD would like to enhance its risk management by hiring an experienced individual consultant with extensive experience and knowledge in financing investments projects. The consultant is required to deliver hands-on coaching and advisory services to the risk department in all the risks.
S/he should be capable of designing modern analytical tools for the identification and quantification of the risks to the above mentioned 8 key risks and the pricing of financial instruments used for hedging interest rate and currency risks. The assessment tools should be able provide a comprehensive risk assessment for energy projects originated and appraised by the Bank.
The advisory services should include stress-testing and scenario analysis on credit, liquidity, interest rate, and FX risks.
The consultant should provide Risk management training across the different sectors of financing to selected staff from BRD.
The Consultant should have experience in the preparation and assessment of ICAAP &ILAAP reporting requirements following the regulatory standards/guidelines to ensure compliance
4. Main Responsibilities of the Job
Duties and responsibilities shall include but not be limited to:
• Develop, implement, monitor and maintain a robust and integrated risk management and compliance functions in support of the Bank’s strategic risk management approach. S/he will also ensure that the Bank is in full compliance with applicable regulations, analyze all risk-related issues, and recommend improvements, modifications, and new procedures where controls are needed.
• Assess risk appetite and monitor key trends and concentrations for financed projects.
• Review of the overall market, credit, operational, regulatory, financial soundness, strategic, currency, liquidity, reputational, operational, interest rate, and business model risk exposures of the Bank with reference to the limits and metrics.
• Provide consideration to the profile of risk and return in the context of the financial performance of the Bank.
• Oversee and advise the management on the current risk exposures of the Bank and future risk strategy.
• Review the Bank’s capability to identify and manage new risk types for financed projects in conjunction with risk department.
• Advise the risk department on proposed energy transactions and ensuring that a due diligence is undertaken, focusing in particular on risk aspects and implications for the risk appetite and tolerance of the Bank.
• Review risk reports on any material breaches on risk limits for financed projects and the adequacy of proposed action.
• Oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Bank’s overall risk management framework and its risk appetite, strategy, principles, and policies to ensure they are in line with emerging regulatory, corporate governance, and industry best practice.
• Provide direction to perfect the management of credit risk, market risk, operational risk, and other related risks.
• Review risk management policies, risk limits, and risk methodologies to include renewable energy and ensure they are up to market standards and compliant to all applicable regulatory requirements.
• Provide strategic insights on energy financing to senior management from a risk perspective.
• Hands-on coaching to risk and Bank’s operations team covering the credit, portfolio management, policies, procedures, processes, and products in order to ensure that the projects appraised meet the risk requirements.
• Review the available de-risking instruments and propose/design additional instruments, for renewable energy if necessary.
• Develop appropriate aggregation models for assessing and reporting on credit risk for financed projects in order to provide the management with basis to make decision on risk appetite.
5. Working relationships
• All Divisions of BRD
6. Professional, academic qualifications and experience
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Banking, Finance, Risk Management, with a clear understanding of Basel standards.
• Minimum 15 years of experience or Exposure to Enterprise Risk Management
• Experience of Risk Management with International or Regional Exposure to Development Financial Institutions will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrable skills and competencies in designing modern risk management, stress-testing tools or metrics.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience in the banking environment should be a must, two (2) of which must be at a senior management level
• Remarkable experience in credit risk management and measurement practices.
• Solid understanding of the credit appraisal process and project finance.
• Sound knowledge of credit rating models and risk premium structuring.
• Highly familiar with related banking regulations, including knowledge of Rwandan banking sector.
• Understanding of the collateral due diligence and collateral management practices.
• Extensive analytical skills as well as problem identification and solving skills.
• Strategic and logical thinking.
• Results orientation and high level of integrity.
• Proven leader with outstanding abilities of people management and hands-on coaching, training.
• Excellent proficiency of English, both written and spoken.
7. Core Competencies
• Updated risk management policies and procedures reflecting risks associated with the renewable energy and ensures compliance with applicable regulations.
• Produce periodic quarterly comprehensive reporting on risk appetite, key trends, and concentrations on the renewable energy sector.
• Develop a comprehensive risk assessment tool for projects financing.
• Develop an overall risk management framework for the Bank.
• Training reports demonstrating hands on training and coaching to selected staff in credit /Investment officers in terms of the risk assessment processes across the different sectors financed by the bank.
• Propose and develop de-risking instruments for the Bank.
• Risk Management Tools or a comprehensive documentation of models, methods and processes.
• Develop risk Reporting dashboards, for all the indicated Keys Risks BRD is exposed to.
• Management of the bank’s exposures (Equity, Credit) by reviewing quality at entry
• Develop stress testing guidelines and assumptions for Capital, Liquidity, Credit, and Market Risk Management.
• All-inclusive training offered to the Risk Team.
• End of contract report including all training offered to the Risk Team and recommendation for the sustainability of acquired skills and knowledge
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidate should apply online (https://www.brd.rw/careers/ ) and upload application documents including Curriculum Vitae, copies of degree certificates and professional certificates, motivation letter, names of three previous supervisors (as one document) as well as their emails and telephone.
Only online applications shall be considered.
Email only for inquiries (not application): firstname.lastname@example.org
Address all applications to the Head, Human Capital, and Corporate Services of the Development Bank of Rwanda.
Deadline for application: Friday, 17th September 2021.
The employment package is highly competitive/attractive.
Due to expected high volume of applications, ONLY shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.