Jobs at:Initiatives for Peace and Human Rights
Deadline of this Job:
31 December 2022
Date Posted: Friday, December 16, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Type of Contract Full Time/Fixed Term
Issue Date 12th December 2022
Application Deadline 31st December 2022
Number of positions 1
Grade of the position 2-T
Duty Station Kigali, Rwanda
Duration 12 Months (renewable subject to funding)
Initiatives for Peace and Human Rights (iPeace) is a non-profit organization that works for sustainable peace in the Great Lakes region through human rights and good governance education. iPeace is legally registered and operational in Rwanda, DRC, and Burundi with a mission to equip communities and individuals with knowledge and skills to build a global culture of peace. The organization's vision is to see the Great Lakes Region become a place where community members and leaders work together by holding each other accountable in upholding human rights values and principles of good governance.
With financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, iPeace in partnership with International Alert and Pole Institute will implement the “HAKI BILA MIPAKA” project. This project aims to contribute to strengthening access to justice for people in the cities across the border between the DRC and Rwanda.
To achieve this objective, iPeace will implement several activities including the provision of free legal aid to cross-border populations, the capacity building of judicial actors, as well as the training of young academics in international humanitarian law and human rights. This project will be carried out in the Western Province, especially in Rubavu, Rusizi and Bugarama.
It is in this context that iPeace is looking for a qualified and experienced accountant to offer our team technical support in accounting during the implementation of the project activities.
2. Scope Of Work
iPeace-Rwanda is looking for a qualified and experienced accountant to manage financial transactions such as receivables and payables management, manage assigned expenses and incomes, bank transactions and other assigned current assets subjects.
The responsibilities include also assisting in the preparation of annual financial audit, by preparing and availing the requested supporting documents; assisting other departments when it’s needed; to perform the bank reconciliation and tax declaration and payments.
To be successful in this role, a candidate should have previous experience with bookkeeping and a flair for spotting numerical mistakes.
Ultimately, he/she will provide us with accurate quantitative information on financial position, liquidity and cash flows of our business, while ensuring we are compliant with all tax regulations.
The accountant will report directly to the finance officer and organization management with regular interactions with the iPeace’s project partners. He/she will be responsible for ensuring that project’s finances are managed in accordance with iPeace’s and donor’s regulations and policies.
The responsibilities of the accountant will include the following:
• Assigning accounting transactions in our system and ensure the correctness of computation.
• Preparing payments after verifying all the required documentation and requesting approval for disbursements.
• Performing periodical accounting closing
• Following the accounting procedures and rules of the Republic of Rwanda, in order to ensure that the information presented in the financial reports is correct
• Ensuring bank accounts, cash flows & balances for the organization are well managed and analyze the treasury position
• Verifying compliance of invoices and salaries according to the procedures, and ensure their timely payment
• Carrying out accurate reconciliation of bank journals with bank statements
• Ensuring the daily management of banking relations;
• Ensuring a quarterly update of asset inventory;
• Supporting internal and external audits
• Preparing monthly projections and handling the monthly closure independently, under the general supervision of the Finance officer
• May carry out some administrative and logistics task (Transport, small procurement, bookings)
4. Qualifications And Skills Required
Qualifications and experience below are required from any candidate:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or Business Administration
• Minimum 3-5 years of relevant working experience in similar position in accounting.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English with very good proficiency in French (reports and meetings will sometimes be held in French). Proficiency in Kinyarwanda is an asset.
• Possess proven experience with accounting software such as QuickBooks and SAGE.
• Knowledge of income tax, and other regulations related to the accounting of NGOs in Rwanda.
• Computer literacy with proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Power Point
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to be flexible and adaptable.
• The ability to work well under pressure and to communicate appropriately and effectively within a multicultural setting;
• Be of proven moral integrity.
• Possess strong analytical and assessment skills
• Show a sense of responsibility and initiative (proactive).
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
iPeace invites qualified candidates to apply for this position by providing the following as one single PDF attachment:
• A motivation letter (1 page maximum)
• Most updated Curriculum Vitae highlighting key qualifications for the position (3 pages Max) with two references preferably most recent employers/supervisors (email and phone numbers)
• Notarized copy of the most qualifying degree/certificate
Applications will be submitted exclusively online via the following https://shorturl.at/kAFJK no later than December 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. local time.
Applications from female candidates are highly encouraged.
We regret that due to the large number of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Preselected candidates will be invited to the job tests which will be organized face-to-face in Kigali at the headquarters of Initiatives for Peace and Human Rights. iPeace does not bear any costs that a candidate will incur in responding to this job posting.
Telephone or electronic inquiries will not be answered.
6. Equal Opportunity & No Corruption
iPeace is proud to be an Equal Employment and Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, status as individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, competence, and result-delivery need.
iPeace conducts its activities professionally, with integrity and in compliance with laws of those jurisdictions. As part of its commitment to ethical practices, iPeace does not tolerate acts of bribery or corruption. No person, agent or organization has been mandated by iPeace to receive, orient or facilitate any job application nor is there any fee whatsoever to submit, review, or assess a job application. Any promise/threat by whoever to positively or negatively influence a job application process is null and void.
Done at Kigali, on 12th December 2022
Dr. Elvis Mbembe Binda.
President & CEO
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.