Jobs at:Prison Fellowship Rwanda (PFR)
Deadline of this Job:
01 February 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duty Station: Head Office
Job type: Full-Time
Duration of Contract: Short time Contract.
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Prison Fellowship Rwanda (PFR) is a non-profit organization that works in partnership with the government of Rwanda and its relevant agencies, local and international partners and volunteers to foster restorative justice, unity and reconciliation, peace building, psychosocial healing initiatives, promotion of human rights and provision of legal assistance and development in Rwanda. Prison Fellowship Rwanda was founded on 01/07/1995, affiliated to the Prison Fellowship International in 1997. It was officially registered and recognized by the ministerial law no 037/17, of 23/10/2002 as a non- profit organization and published in official gazette of the Republic of Rwanda in 2002.
Prison Fellowship Rwanda in partnership with UNHCR and the Ministry in Charge of Emergency Management (MINEMA) is ensuring access to justice and respect of human rights is strengthened by providing legal assistance, legal education, civil registration and documentation to refugees living in different Camps. Currently Prison Fellowship Rwanda is looking for a qualified and highly motivated candidate of high moral character and professional integrity to fulfil the position of Legal Officer to manage the overall project implementation at Camp site.
Under the Supervision of the Head of Finance and Budget, an accountant is responsible to undertake the following specific tasks:
• Create project accounts in the accounting system (QuickBooks)
• Ensure all transactions are in compliance with PFR financial and procedures manuals and are in line with the project activities.
• Enter all transactions relating to projects into the finance system in a timely manner (QuickBooks or other software).
• Review and approve supplier invoices for the project in charge.
• Prepare the payment for the approved invoices.
• Review and approve time sheets for work related to the project in charge.
• Review overhead charges to be applied to a project
• Prepare the project reports (periodic forecasting, budget utilization report, statement of income and expenditures, cash flow statement, etc.)
• Investigate project variances and submit variance reports to management
• Prepare and submit government reports and tax returns related to the project
• Prepare and review monthly transaction listing for completeness and assurance and post required adjustments in a timely fashion.
• Reconcile all project balance sheet accounts every month
• Prepare and review monthly reserves statement for each project, and review for exceptions
• Produce monthly reporting as required by the project(s) ensuring accuracy through the actions above and adherence to donor requirements always. The same to be shared with the project finance lead.
• Prepare the monthly project bank reconciliation.
• Resolve and clear any historical outstanding balances
• Ensure all transactions are supported by adequate documentation, and approval and that documentation is filed and retained in a suitable way
• Compile information for internal and external auditors, as required
• Follow up on audit recommendation implementations
• Make sure project taxes return are adequately monitored and paid in due time (Declaration and payment of PAYE, WHT, RSSB)
• Claim for a VAT refund to RRA when required.
• Perform any other task that may be assigned by your supervisor.
• Producing accurate reports on time
• Effective management of donor financial requirements and responsibilities
• Maintenance of proper and accurate financial records
• Compliance with PFR procedures manual (Administrative, financial, procurement,) Essential skills and qualifications
• Minimum of 3 years prior experience in project accounting in NGO.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and possession of CPA or ACCA is an added value.
• Strong communication skills.
• Key competencies include Communication, teamwork, initiative, and dependability.
• Fluent in English, French, and/or Kinyarwanda as well as written skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• High levels of attention to detail
• Ownership and accountability of own work
• Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint presentation
• Professional skills in project and project portfolio management
• Professional skills in key account management and member acquisition
• Excellent network to key players in the finance and public sector
• Excellent self-organization, punctuality and reliability
• Having knowledge of QUICKBOOKS (Accounting software)">
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply, please send the following by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching the following:
• Degree and ID;
• Cover letter
• CV (maximum 3 pages);
• Two recommendations of previous relevant work;
• All documents should be one PDF document.
Please include ‘’ Accountant’’ in the subject line of the application e-mail. Due to the large number of applications, Prison Fellowship Rwanda will only be able to respond to short-listed candidates. The application deadline is on 18th/ 01/ 2023.
The application can be addressed to the Executive Director of Prison Fellowship Rwanda. For more information about Prison Fellowship Rwanda, consult: www.pfrwanda.com
Prison Fellowship Rwanda has a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse of beneficiaries. Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility and all staff are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct, that enshrines principles of PSEA, at all times (both during work hours and outside work hours). Familiarization with, and adherence to, the Code of Conduct is an essential requirement of all staff, in addition to related mandatory training. All staff must ensure that they understand and act in accordance with this clause.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.