Administration & Finance Assistant
International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Deadline of this Job:
19th January 2019
Date Posted: 7th January 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full-Time , Currency: RwF
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). IITA’s R4D is anchored on the development needs of Sub-Saharan Africa and develops agricultural solutions with partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture.
CIAT, on behalf of IITA, is seeking for an Administration & Finance Assistant with the main responsibility of facilitating and providing administrative and financial support services, which contribute to the efficient and professional operation of IITA Rwanda office and the projects it is managing. The position also provides executive assistance to the IITA Rwanda Country Representative.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Coordinating both international/local conferences, workshops including providing secretarial, logistical and other administrative support preceding and during the activity.
• Preparation of conference/workshop/meeting reports.
Procurement and Asset Management
• Source quotations, prepare bids analysis and liaise obtain all necessary approval.
• Maintaining stores and preparation of monthly reports.
• Managing stationery including the charge back template.
• Maintaining an up to date office assets register, ensuring tagging, and insurance of the same.
• Coordinate travel arrangements for IITA staff, collaborators and visitors (tickets, airport transfers, visas, hotels, etc.).
• Support the preparation of travel claims by IITA Staff.
• Ensure proper filing of financial and accounting records for easy retrieval.
• Maintain cash box and make payments following approval.
• Perform periodic cash counts and submit reports to HQ.
• Support accounting and prepare filing of IITA Rwanda payments in IITA's finance systems.
• Support Station Administrator in setting up and operating effective and adequate IITA Rwanda finance management systems.
Personal Assistant to Country Representative
• Support IITA Country Representative in email management.
• Receive, screen, log and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain an efficient follow-up system.
• Managing the Country Representative’s agenda including updating calendar of events, meetings, appointments, travel plans and bookings.
• Arrange appointments and receive visitors on behalf of the Country Representative.
• Verify appropriateness of documents for the Country Representative’s authorization and signature.
• Act as Secretary to meetings chaired by the Director as requested. Prepare agendas for and minutes of meetings.
• Participate in coordination of periodic staff meetings and developing minutes for the same.
• Follow up on information tasks and requests on behalf of the IITA Country Representative.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
• Degree Business Administration/Management or other relevant subject with proven office management and personal assistant secretary skills.
• Should have attained a minimum of CPA ll.
• Proven capacity to handle complex financial and accounting systems, including ORACLE.
• Proven capacity and experience as personal secretary in executive email and agenda management.
• At least two (2) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an International organization and experience with donor funded projects.
• Prior experience with donor funded projects, and international research for development organizations.
• High level of computer skills and ability to learn new applications quickly.
• Excellent oral and written French and English communication skills.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
• Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
• Strong ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload; is flexible and able to work under pressure.
• Highly effective planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Commitment to IITA’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
The position is nationally recruited, will be based at IITA Offices in Kigali, Rwanda. The contract will be for one (1) year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
Job application procedure
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications, clearly indicating position applied for as: Administration & Finance Assistant. An application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be attached and saved as one document using candidate's last name-first name for ease of sorting. The CV should include at least three References, including the supervisor of the last occupied work position.
Applications closing date: 19th January 2019
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.