Jobs at:Mennonite Economic Development Associates
Deadline of this Job:
14 November 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Virus Resistant Cassava for Africa Plus (VIRCA Plus) is a collaborative project between the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (DDPSC), USA, MEDA, the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO), Kenya, the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO), Uganda, the Rwandan Agricultural Board (RAB), Rwanda, and the National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI), Nigeria. The project has developed pathogen-derived RNAi technology to produce genetically modified cassava displaying high level resistance to Cassava brown streak disease (CBSD). Varieties developed from VIRCA Plus project offer unique potential to address a significant threat to the livelihoods of 100s of millions of African smallholder farmers and their communities. The project will run from 2020 to 2025.
The Area Manager will support effective implementation of VIRCA Deployment Program (Seed System Development Component) in Rwanda to achieve project targets and results in line with MEDA’s development approach. This position will be based in Kigali with travel to targeted cassava growing regions within the country.
• Job Status: Full-time Contract
• Anticipated Start Date: December 2022/January 2023
• Location: Kigali, Rwanda
• Support seed system assessments aimed at increasing understanding of the status quo, capacity gaps, constraints, and opportunities in the country.
• Work collaboratively with RAB/RAB Seed Unit to improve their business capacity for production of Early Generation Seed (EGS).
• Facilitate market linkages for RAB/RAB Seed Unit to supply demand driven quality cassava planting materials on a commercial basis.
• In collaboration with RICA, IITA and other seed system actors, facilitate development/refinement and implementation of cassava seed protocols to ensure quality assurance of cassava planting materials.
• Facilitate identification and capacity building of selected Cooperatives, Cassava Seed Entrepreneurs/Enterprises (CSEs) in commercial seed production while ensuring inclusivity
• Develop and implement a robust capacity development program targeting key cassava seed system actors including but not limited to RICA, RAB/RAB Seed Unit, INGABO, and CSEs.
• Develop/refine training manuals on commercial seed production as well as other relevant modules including gender and social inclusion.
• Support marketing of CSEs products and facilitate strong linkages between CSEs and root farmers
• Facilitate registration of CSEs with relevant government agencies and ensure compliance to existing seed quality protocols
• Provide backstopping, coaching, and mentorship to selected CSEs.
• Create strong partnerships with public and private producers, relevant government ministries and agencies, other seed system stakeholders and represent MEDA when required.
• Prepare monthly plans and budget for the country.
• Proactively monitor burn rate.
• Ensure compliance with MEDA/donor procedures and policies.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Ensure timely and accurate data collection and analysis.
• Develop progress reports.
• Track performance against targets and course correct where necessary.
• Document and share lessons learnt
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months:
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.