Associate Director Of Finance - Cmu Africa
Jobs at:Right Seat
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, April 24 2023
Date Posted:Monday, April 24 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Right Seat is recruiting for Carnegie Mellon University Africa seeking a senior finance professional to serve as Associate Director of Finance for its location in Rwanda, Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa). This position will partner with the Chief Operations Officer (COO) in the financial functions at CMU-Africa, and be responsible for accounting functions, business intelligence and analytics, developing dashboards, reports, and other analyses for robust business operations. Additionally, they will partner with finance office in Pittsburgh, they will lead the charge to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of financial and other operational practices and processes, under the guidance of the COO. This position reports to the COO of CMU-Africa.
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a private research university based in the United States. It has top ranked programs in engineering, computer science and information and communication technology as well as a rich history of entrepreneurship. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, CMU established a campus in Kigali Rwanda (CMU-Africa) in 2011 to address Africa’s critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent. CMU-Africa is a fast-growing campus with about 300 enrolled students from more than 20 African countries. It has more than 20 resident faculty and more than 35 staff from around the globe. There is strong collaboration and exchange between CMU campuses. CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research. CMU-Africa’s vision is to lead transformational change in Africa through education and technology innovation. CMU-Africa’s mission is to deliver a world-class education to develop the next generation of technology leaders from across Africa and to accelerate research and innovation to solve pressing African and global problems.
Job Functions/Core Responsibilities:
Manage business and financial analyses
• Lead the development and maintenance of regular and robust financial and business analytics, developing dashboards, reports, and other trend analyses for CMU-Africa leadership.
• Oversee the monthly and quarterly processes of CMU-Africa’s financial close, ensuring the accurate and timely completion of invoice processing, accruals, accounts payable redistributions, and payroll distribution adjustments.
• Collaborate with the College of Engineering’s Research Accelerator to review and reconcile sponsored research and project expenditures for compliance with sponsor and CMU reporting cycles. Review Oracle Grants Management accounts for sufficient funding, correct charge string coding, and expenditure compliance, and make budget recommendations and offer solutions to program leads.
• Continually monitor budgets and expenditures to identify potential funding shortfalls and overspending, with timely communication of findings with the COO, Principal Investigators, and Program leads, and make recommendations on corrective courses of action.
• Partner with the International Finance team on fiscal year-end close and responding to audit inquiries, compliance oversight, and record retention.
• Lead the continuous improvement and documentation of CMU-Africa’ financial and operational processes and implement an internal quarterly review process with program leads.
• Provide guidance, administrative management, and operational coordination to various technical, professional, and/or administrative personnel engaged in specified project activities, as appropriate to the position.
Manage purchasing processes
• Provide guidance to all CMU-Africa staff and faculty in the procurement of goods and services in line with the CMU Procurement Manual.
• Lead strategic sourcing and negotiations with vendors for goods and services, including outreach to local business vendors able to meet the purchasing needs of CMU-Africa.
• Collaborate with technical staff and faculty to build a pool of preferred vendors.
• Partner with the International Finance team to implement a process for preparing and executing Request for Proposals where appropriate, reviewing proposals, and selecting vendors.
• Guide finance officers to ensure that business travel expenditures remain within approved trip costs to support budgeting and financial reporting and administer procedures for ensuring accurate and compliant application of authorized funds.
• Review purchase order, expenditure reimbursement, and purchasing card expenditures for compliance with CMU policy and correct charge string coding and prepare Accounts Payable Redistributions for reallocations where appropriate.
• Design, coordinate, and implement training programs for CMU-Africa personnel on the nature and application of operating policies and procedure.
• Manage direct reports in Finance and Research administrative support functions. Monitor and manage team workflow. Manage and assess employee performance, provide coaching and mentoring for growth and improved performance.
• Delegate tasks and assign projects and resources as appropriate.
Education And Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, financial management, or business administration.
• Qualified professional accountant (ACCA, CIMA, ICPAR, CPA), with a minimum of five years post-qualification experience preferred.
• 5-8 years of experience within higher education, public or privately funded grant administration, or project accounting a plus.
• Fluency in both spoken and written English and French a plus.
Skills And Competencies
• Strong accounting skills; knowledge of higher education, public accounting, and grant administration a plus.
• Demonstrable experience and ability to lead teams effectively, coaching and mentoring for high performance.
• Excellent analytical skills, with meticulous attention to detail; keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and records.
• Highly developed critical thinking skills, with ability to solve complex problems in innovative ways.
• Demonstrable ability to handle multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment, work under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
• Demonstrable proficiency with accounting software and MS Office (intermediate Excel and Word skills). Experience with Oracle E-Business Suite a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English).
• Demonstrable ability to communicate financial information to non-finance audience, with excellent presentation skills.
• Demonstrable ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
• Agile learner with the ability to adapt and thrive in an evolving, diverse environment.
• Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, excellent discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Demonstrable ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or individuals.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
About the com
Job Experience:No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.