Budget and Programming Associate
Jobs at:World Food Programme (WFP)
Deadline of this Job:
25 August 2022
Date Posted: Friday, August 12, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Budget and Programming Associate
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Rwanda helps the government enhance the national capacity to manage and innovate, but also to tackle more immediate humanitarian needs and provide a path to self-reliance, ensuring no one is left behind while facilitating national ownership. WFP is increasingly transitioning from humanitarian action into development and humanitarian nexus efforts to create links and make greater impact.
WFP Rwanda Country Strategic Plan is based on the National Zero Hunger Strategic Review, as well as the United Nations Development Assistance Framework. It contributes to Sustainable Development Goals 2 and 17, as well as WFP Strategic Results 1, 2, 3 and 8, through five Strategic Outcomes (SO):
• SO1: Refugees, returnees and other crisis-affected populations in Rwanda have access to adequate and nutritious food at all times.
• SO2: Vulnerable populations in food-insecure communities and areas have improved access to adequate and nutritious food all year.
• SO3: Children under 5, adolescents, and PNW/Gs in Rwanda have improved access to nutritious foods and services to meet their nutritional needs all year.
• SO4: Smallholder farmers, especially women, have increased marketable surplus and access to agricultural markets through efficient supply chains by 2030.
• SO5: The Government of Rwanda and the humanitarian community is provided with adequate, timely, cost-efficient and agile supply chain services and expertise necessary to effectively respond to emergency crisis.
• This position will report to the Head of Unit, Budget & Programming Officer. At this level, the job holder is expected to take responsibility and initiative to respond independently to complex queries with only general guidance. The job holder support management of financial resources and may provide guidance to other staff for completion of a range of budget-related processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
• The job holder should be able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff if necessary.
• Under the supervision of the Budget and Programming Officer, the Budget and Programming Associate delivers budget and resource analysis and programming activities and/or provides support in the Country Office, partners with managers to apply best practice approaches that support the efficient, effective, and compliant utilization of funds.
• There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis to provide a range of specialized support for efficient planning, monitoring and analysis of project financial performance to enhance optimal use of financial resources.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
Under the supervision of the Budget & Programming Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following key duties:
• Review budget plans, monitor and analyse project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices, to support financial analysis and optimisation of resources
• Provide comprehensive analysis on fund and grant balances identifying surpluses and deficits, and suggest corrective measures, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
• Support pipeline management ensuring efficient monitoring, to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximise operational effectiveness.
• Contribute to the improvement of internal processes, enhancement of corporate systems and design of tools, to facilitate the overall planning, expenditure forecasting, and budget management and monitoring of resource utilisation.
• Enter project budget plans and revisions in the corporate systems, to ensure data is timely and accurately captured enabling easy access to information and supporting planning and decision-making.
• Review, compile and analyse data, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
• Maintain communication with a number of stakeholders regarding project funds management matters and related processes, to clarify any discrepancies and optimise use of funds.
• Provide guidance to other support staff and contribute to their learning and development in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to facilitate continued development and consistency in services delivered.
• Follow standard emergency preparedness practices, to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
Other Post Requirements:
• Strong knowledge in SAP, Excel (Advanced level) and other business applications or analytical tools;
• Strong experience working with large amounts of data: trends analysis, figures, and number crunching ;
• Be able to consolidate and share resource management information in a way that supports decision-making and emphasizes accuracy and consistency in numbers across teams. Strong skills in reaching out to people is needed for the purpose
• Strong work organization skills;
• Has provided analytical inputs for the development of budgets, financial plans or analysis.
• Has strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to manage external partnerships.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
• Education: Completion of at least first University degree in Finance, Economics, Management Information Systems, or other field supplemented with additional years of related work experience.
• Experience: Five years of experience supporting the preparation and management of budgets.
• Has assisted with budget/allotment-related issues within the WFP budget system.
• Languages: Fluency (level C) in English and/or French language and Kinyarwanda
• Knowledge & Skills : A proactive attitude, an ability to plan work and prioritise competing activities to ensure their completion.
• Ability to work independently and in an organised manner, with good attention to detail.
• Good analytical, communication and writing skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to manage external partnerships.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
• Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
• Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
• Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
• Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
• Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
• Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
• Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
• Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
• Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
• Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
• Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
• Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
• Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
• Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
• Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
• Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
• Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
• Internal Controls & Compliance Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.
• Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.
• Resource Management Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.
• Performance Management Displays sufficient understanding of WFP performance management system to gather relevant and accurate information from internal and external sources for inputs to monitoring and/or evaluation processes.
Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge Demonstrates basic understanding of WFP programme, implementation, and supply chain principles (including project modalities & structures).
Other Specific Job Requirements
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job"
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role
• Has supported the preparation and management of budgets.
• Has assisted with the monitoring of budgets/resource plans/pipelines/supply chains.
• Has assisted with budget/allotment related issues within the WFP budget system.
Terms And Conditions
Job Title: Budget and Programming Associate
Type of Contract & Level: Fixed Term (FT); level_G6
Reporting to: Head of Budget and Programming Unit,
Duty Station: Kigali
Duration: 1 year renewable
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for submitting applications is on 25 August 2022 at 23:59 CAT
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months:
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and Qualified, Click Here To Apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.