Capacity Development Advisor
Jobs at:Savings Banks Foundation for International Cooperation (SBFIC)
Deadline of this Job:
04 August 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
German Sparkassenstiftung for International Cooperation (DSIK, locally registered as Savings Banks Foundation for International Cooperation/SBFIC) is a German NGO that promotes financial sector development. DSIK was established by several Sparkassen in Germany in 1992. Ever since, it has been working in more than 80 countries, successfully carrying out more than 200 projects. We are working in Eastern Africa for more than 10 years, focusing on strengthening institutions in the microfinance sector and its customers to enhance access to finance and to develop capacities on the supply and the demand side of the financial sector. Within the East African Region, we are currently conducting projects in Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda, which are refinanced by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
One of our key activities within the Capacity Development pillar is the implementation of a Dual Apprenticeship System in the Rwandan Microfinance Sector. Following the German example of a close interlinkage of vocational education and practical training, we have established and successfully piloted a system in close collaboration with our partner organizations that considers the Rwandan microfinance sector’s needs and environment. The system is currently being rolled out, whereby approximately 68 young professionals are employed as apprentices in 18 different microfinance institutions. During the one-year program, the apprentices rotate in the different departments of their microfinance institution, and they learn all necessary theoretical background during their once-a-week vocational classes.
The Dual Apprenticeship Program is implemented in close collaboration with our local partner organization, the Rwanda Institute of Cooperatives, Entrepreneurship and Microfinance (RICEM), which acts as vocational school in this regard.
The DSIK Capacity Development Team works on various other activities with RICEM, such as the elaboration and conduction of professional training programs for senior staff of microfinance institutions and cooperatives, the implementation of simulation game trainings to foster entrepreneurial skills, coaching for entrepreneurs and innovative financial literacy trainings. Furthermore, DSIK collaborates with the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MINICOM) in various activities related to the implementation of Rwanda’s Entrepreneurship Development Policy (EDP). Another key partner is the Kigali Independent University (ULK). This partnership focusses, among others, on integrating components with high practical relevance into the finance courses and organizing international entrepreneurship summer schools.
It is within the above-mentioned context that DSIK is recruiting a Capacity Development Advisor, who shall provide operational support to the implementation of the Dual Apprenticeship System program. Furthermore, the Capacity Development Advisor shall work on conceptual tasks related to other partnership activities of the Capacity Development Team.
The Capacity Development Advisor will become part of the international Country Office Team of German Sparkassenstiftung in Rwanda, which has more than 20 team members.
Roles and responsibilities:
Dual Apprenticeship System Project
• Accompany the in-classroom training (preparation, conduction, follow-up) to ensure its high quality at the different school locations.
• Contribute to achieving a comprehensive in-company training of all apprentices in the different microfinance institutions.
• Support in the conduction of trainings of trainers (classroom and in-company) and coordinators.
• Collaborate with the team and local partner organisations to develop and update training material.
• Contribute to strengthening the partner organisations’ capacities to enable them to fully takeover the Dual Apprenticeship System in the mid-term.
• Support initiatives to devise approaches to steer the Dual Apprenticeship System towards functioning in blended and/or digital learning environment.
• Make propositions to the budget planning and implementation process.
• Support the promotion of the Dual Apprenticeship System at different levels.
• Support the organization and facilitation of stakeholder engagement events.
• Ensure proper documentation of Dual Apprenticeship System implementation and reporting on the outcome of the Dual Apprenticeship System.
• Undertake local logistical duties such as collecting supporting documents for payments and ensure a complete inventory of all materials.
• Support in implementation of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) measures related to the Dual Apprenticeship System, such as data collection and compilation.
• Develop concept papers for new interventions with our existing partner organizations in the field of capacity development.
• Support colleagues in the Capacity Development Team in the conceptual work related to the project activities they are responsible for.
• Take over other tasks assigned by the management, including cross-cutting tasks for the DSIK Country Office Rwanda.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, or any related subject.
• At least 3 years of work experience, ideally in the financial sector or in development cooperation projects.
• International experience (academic or work) is an added value.
• Knowledge of the Rwandan Microfinance sector.
Skills and Competencies:
• Dynamic and fast moving in implementing the activities with high level of flexibility and proactiveness.
• Strong conceptual skills and creativity to develop new activities from scratch.
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
• Sensitivity to work as an advisor in an intercultural environment.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proven integrity and confidentiality.
• Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English. Fluency in French is a plus.
We offer to you:
• Motivating working atmosphere within an open-minded and appreciative corporate culture.
• Possibility to work self-responsibly.
• Experience to become part of an international team and to learn from different team members.
• Possibility to grow within the organization given an excellent performance and willingness to take next career steps.
• Flexible working hours and possibility to work from the mobile office for as long as the project goal achievement is not affected.
• Appropriate remuneration package including a private health insurance for the employee and his/her family.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please submit your updated CV, relevant certificates and transcripts of records, and a cover letter clearly demonstrating your knowledge, experience and motivation as well as highlighting your suitability for the assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications will be received not later than 4th August 2021. Please understand that we will only contact candidates who will have passed the preselection successfully and will be invited to the Assessment Center.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.