Construction Finance Specialist
Jobs at:Development Bank of Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
01 August 2022
Date Posted: Friday, July 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Construction Finance Specialist
The Development Bank of Rwanda is Rwanda’s only National Development Bank mandated to support Rwanda’s development goals. Over the last years, the bank has undergone substantial re-organization aimed at positioning it as an “innovative and sustainable provider of development finance for socio-economic impact”.
To achieve this vision, the bank’s new strategic plan (2018-2024) has outlined 3 key strategic themes.
• Operational Excellence: Continuous improvement of our credit and risk management system, financial performance, and customer services.
• Strategic Partnerships: Forming strategic partnerships to deliver our mandate is a key component of our core activities.
• Dynamic Culture: Continuously improving our pool of knowledge to have the most competent and skilled employees.
• BRD is committed to respecting gender equality and disability norms. We promote gender responsive practices. Qualified candidates particularly females and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To help accomplish this ambitious and exciting vision, the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) would like to recruit suitable qualified candidates to fill the following position:
Construction Finance Specialist (1)
Job Title: Construction Finance Specialist Job grade: JG6
Department/Unit: Business Development
Reports to: Manager of Housing & Infrastructure Portfolio
Direct Reports: N/A Indirect Reports: N/A
Contract terms: Construction & finance analytics specialist will be hired for a period of 17 months. The Construction & finance analytics specialist is expected to work full-time based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Purpose of the Job
BRD would like to recruit a construction finance specialist to support the Housing & Infrastructure Unit in the management of the project which aims at facilitating the Access to Finance in the 2 value chains: clays and stones processing value chains. The proposed project model would work on 3 windows: technical assistance to value chain actors, capacity building of Participating Financial institutions and Interest rate subsidy applied to loans provided to the value chain actors.
The construction finance specialist will focus on strengthening the capacity of the Project implementation Unit (PIU) and on providing financial and technical guidance in structuring financial products and services and all transactions related to projects in the set value chains. The construction finance specialist is also expected to advise on the implementation & improvements of the construction project and stakeholders management.
The Construction finance specialist will ensure that all project activities are executed in accordance to project related Action proposal and budget, and the guidance provided by BRD management, the Steering Committee, NIRDA and ENABEL as stakeholders. The Construction finance specialist is also expected to assist the Bank on the development of construction related financial strategy, products, and instruments to improve the Bank’s visibility and performance in housing and infrastructure sector finance. Main
Responsibilities of the Job:
• To provide relevant assistance to the Construction Project implementation Unit in all aspects of project management and growth of business, to ensure the effective implementation of all financing windows under the project.
• Develop and implement the intervention strategy, operational plans and prepare quarterly and annual implementation reports for the project stakeholders
• Advise the PIU on the engagement and relationship management with project stakeholders including: ENABEL, NIRDA as well as other project implementing partners (e.g., Banks, MFIs, Saccos, construction value chains investors).
• Assist with the preparation and delivery of workshops and presentations aimed at sharing experiences among project beneficiaries and Participating Financial Institutions (PFIs).
• Conduct the appraisal of the Banks, MFIs, and SACCOs vis a vis BNR prudential standards and recommend the legal department the successful PFIs to sign participating agreement with BRD.
• Monitor the utilization of Interest Rate Subsidy and support the housing department to set the strategies of utilizing at least 75% of the total installment in every semester.
• Provide technical/financial appraisal notes of construction value chain loan proposals by conducting risk assessments and other aspects of the due diligence processes on all relevant components of the applying businesses.
• Identify potential project beneficiaries within the selected construction value chain
• Provide advisory services to potential beneficiaries in the development of projects to be eligible to access the fund
• Conduct field visit to offices of participating financial institutions and hold consultative discussions on terms and conditions of interest rate subsidy facility to ensure the approved subsidy is used strictly following the eligibility criteria stated in the agreement.
• In collaboration with the Housing & Infrastructure unit, support the NIRDA/ Enabel supervision missions by providing all required documentation in respect to project implementation progress.
• Advise and assist in preparation of terms of reference for consultancy work planned under the technical assistance & capacity building window by supporting the review process and supervise various consultancy services.
• Provide technical back up to the Housing & Infrastructure unit team in the project appraisal process and advise on strategies of pipeline development under the interest rate subsidy window.
• Provide review of appraisal notes/memorandums of the files to be supported under the project during the credit underwriting processes.
• Provide technical assistance on financial, technical, managerial, business due diligence that shall be conducted to ascertain the bankability of the projects that shall be submitted to the Bank
• Performance indicators
• Weekly reporting to supervisor.
• Monthly briefing note outlining key issues for BRD Management attention.
• Quarterly progress reports to the Housing & Infrastructure unit Manager describing major activities undertaken and tasks accomplished during the reporting period and challenges hindering implementation process.
• End of year performance report.
• Number of projects appraisal supported
• Head, human capital and corporate support, NIRDA and Enabel"> Professional, academic qualifications and experience
• A Master’s degree in construction engineering management, construction & finance analytics, or related discipline.
• A bachelor’s study program in construction engineering, construction technology, building engineering systems, or related
• At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in financial sector services, with at least 3 years of professional experience in construction project finance and/or construction project management positions
• Strong financial skills, including investment analysis, risk assessments, conducting due diligence, deal structuring and performing financial modeling.
• Experience of working on projects specifically related with construction raw materials will be an added advantage.
• A track record of negotiation and underwriting skills.
• Exceptional communication, writing and analytical skills.
• Good organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Power point, Word, etc.).
• Proficiency in written and spoken English. Kinyarwanda is an added advantage.
Professional, academic qualifications and experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Economics, Business Administration, Accounting,
• A minimum of (two) 2 years in relevant field (management, accounting, etc.)
Competencies shall include but not limited to:
• Information systems and Data base management
• Recoveries Analysis
• Portfolio Reporting
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidate should apply online (https://www.brd.rw/career/ ) and upload application documents including Curriculum Vitae, copies of degree certificates and professional certificates, motivation letter, names of three previous supervisors (as one document) as well as their emails and telephone.
Only online applications shall be considered.
Email only for inquiries (not application): firstname.lastname@example.org
Address all applications to the Head, Human Capital, and Corporate Services of the Development Bank of Rwanda.
Deadline for application: 6th August 2022
The employment package is highly competitive/attractive.
Due to expected high volume of applications, ONLY shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Done in Kigali, 21st July 2022
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.