Country Director Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
04 October 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1,250 team members in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV is more explicitly endeavouring to contribute to large scale, sustainable impact through systems change - by strengthening institutions, kick-starting markets, leveraging financing and influencing policies.
For more information on our operations in Rwanda and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The role of Country Director is critical for the success of SNV and reports directly to the Managing Director Countries. The Country Director Rwanda will spearhead the implementation of SNV’s strategy and operational engagement in the country.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, results-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the Rwanda country team in realising the implementation of high-quality programs in SNV’s sectors. SNV offers the successful candidate a challenging position in an evolving economic environment in the country.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country program, while ensuring compliance and high-quality delivery of project results. It will require the Country Director to be well informed about national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. She/he will also be the face of SNV in the country and ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Country Director will lead, coach and support a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed our stakeholder’s expectations, both internally and externally. In addition, she/he will be a key member of SNV’s global extended management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Strategic leadership of the program including multi-country efforts within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
• Business development to grow the country program, ensure financial sustainability of SNV Rwanda and ensure a high-quality project design;
• Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and compliance with SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
• Strong and supportive leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork at all levels;
• Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
• Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
• Foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
• At least 8 years of relevant management experience at the strategic level;
• Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three sectors;
• Proven ability to mobilise resources from the public and private sector; familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s core sectors;
• Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and entrepreneurial skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
• Strong in implementation oversight;
• Proven track record in project management including familiarity with donor-funded project procedures and process;
• Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at federal and local levels;
• Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
• Culturally aware, tactful and open-minded;
• Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time international position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package. Desired start date for this position is 01 November 2021.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We especially invite women to submit their application as we seek to increase the number of women in SNV leadership positions.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
• Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 04 October 2021 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
• During the recruitment process, SNV will require your cooperation in completing a Competency Profile when long listed for this position.
• We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
• Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
• After your interviews with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.