Country Risk Manager
Jobs at:Ecobank Rwanda PLC
Deadline of this Job:
02 June 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Implement and manage bank’s risk measurement methodologies to quantify risks in a consistent manner across the business and departments covering credit portfolio, market, liquidity, operational, regulatory and compliance, reputational, information technology, cybersecurity, information security, business continuity, country, environmental and sustainability, sovereign risks and cross border risks
• Monitor and escalate emerging risks, changes to regulation, changes to the risk profile, the proposed or actual adoption of new products and distribution channels, or any other factors that affect the branch’s risk profile to bank’s risks in a timely and proactive manner.
• Prepare such policies and procedures as are required for the operation and management of the risk management framework (with reference to ensuring alignment with policies and regulatory requirements) and oversee their implementation;
• Maintain the framework by making such changes as are necessary for response to:
• Changes in business conditions or the bank’s risk appetite
• Changes in regulation
• Changes in technology
• Implement a regime to monitor the ongoing effectiveness of the risk framework in risk, regulatory and operational terms (including regulatory and internal measurement and reporting requirements), recommending such changes as may from time to time be required;
• Periodic review of metrics and processes for the collation and production of KRI and EWI reports and implement or enhance as necessary; raise risk alerts to Group Risk, Management, and Board and initiate remedial action agreed
• Attend or chair risk and other control or oversight committees set up for the bank. Stay abreast of local regulatory developments and industry best practice, introducing revisions to the framework in response to both;
• Input to the development of risk management practice and policies across the wider Group;
• Work closely with the Compliance, Internal Control, and Internal Audit Departments to ensure the work of all areas mesh together with no gaps and appropriate “2nd and 3rd level” controls are maintained across all areas of the business;
• Participate in and contribute to, management meetings. Also, being a Regulatory liaison in conjunction with Managing Director;
• Hold meetings with direct reports and assess their performance as well as the department’s overall performance with the Managing Director and Board Risk on a regular basis.
• Take decisive action to ensure speedy resolution of unresolved grievances or conflicts within the Risk Management team. Maintain a close and collaborative relationship with colleagues in Risk Management.
• Oversee development and implementation of new processes and procedures (including requirements mandated by Group and Regulator) with respect to Risk Management and be the point of reference for all matters concerning risk. Drive the continuous improvement of risk management practice, process efficiency, and reporting standards.
• Monitor effectiveness of and enhance and develop processes and procedures in conjunction with Risk Management Program to improve the effectiveness of risk management in branches and Head Office. Review and process queries/proposals relating to all aspects of Risk Management.
• Critically evaluate limit proposals covering all functional risks and submit for approval by Group Risk supported by business rationale and qualifying / supporting comments.
• Liaise and work with Business, Client Engagement, Credit, Operations, Information Security, Legal, Information Technology, Treasury and Finance to ensure appropriate support is given to the implementation of the affiliate Risk Management requirements
• On a dynamic basis research and study trends in international markets with respect to all aspects of risk management to ensure early warning indicators are in place to communicate emerging risks and minimize losses to the Bank. To remain up to date on all aspects of regulatory limits, controls, and requirements by the Central Bank.
• Proactively manage credit portfolio risk by executing the Credit Portfolio Strategy and Credit Risk Management Framework:
• Prepare Risk Appetite metrics along with the bank’s business strategy agree on a yearly basis and monitor compliance on a monthly basis.
• Apply ad-hoc event-driven and regular stress testing and take management mitigating actions on the portfolio, liquidity among others.
• Oversee & control rating and risk pricing model outputs created by RMs and ensure compliance with use test requirements.
• Manage the cross-border country risk as per the policies
• Monitor and maintain risk-relevant data quality, provide data quality attestation on a regular basis
• Ensure the portfolios complies with sustainability risk policy
• Provide and continuously improve regular Portfolio MI reporting. Updating on emerging sector trends and industry benchmarks (Watch list, NPL trends, etc…)
• Superior knowledge of Credit, Market (including IRRBB), Liquidity, Operational, Counterparty, Reputational, and other financial and non-financial risks that might expose the Bank to loss
• Ability to operate and perform in a diverse environment under general direction, guidelines, and rules.
• Superior negotiation skills cross-functionally and externally.
• Superior communication skills both interpersonal and for communicating messages across and up and down levels.
• Ability to reflect on own performance and seek out the counsel of peers, subordinates, seniors, and external reviewers to enhance performance
• Develop leadership and talent within the organization with associated performance management as required by the Bank from time to time
• In accordance with the governance manual, contribute to and comply with the bank’s Risk Framework, consider Risk Appetite and promote a positive Risk Culture:
• Understand and effectively perform your role under the Three Lines of Defense principle to identify, measure, monitor, manage and report risks.
• Ensure systematic good outcomes for clients in accordance with Conduct Risk policy.
• Support the framework of Risk Control Self-Assessment, Key Risk Indicator, Incident reporting, and remediation, as appropriate, in accordance with the Operational Risk Management requirements.
• Maintain appropriate knowledge to ensure to be fully qualified to undertake the role. Complete all mandatory training provided by the Bank and attain and maintain the required levels of competence. Attend mandatory (internal and external) seminars as instructed by the Bank.
• Ensuring high standards of data protection and confidentiality to safeguard commercially sensitive information. Maintaining utmost confidentiality with regards to customer and internal bank information obtained during the course of business and provide such information on a need-to-know basis only to Senior Management, Audit and Compliance functions, and relevant Regulators.
• Maintains high professional standards to uphold the bank's reputation and to strengthen its market leadership position.
• All other ad hoc duties and/or activities related to the bank that management may request of the employee from time to time
Qualification Requirements & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Banking, Mathematics, Accounting, Management, Economics and/or Finance, or Master’s Degree (MBA, MSc etc)
• Relevant professional qualifications (CPA; ACCA….) or a professional qualification in banking
• Minimum of six years’ experience in the Banking sector
• Five years’ experience in a Senior Management position
• Knowledge of market and product as well as command of risk disciplines;
• Ability and willingness to effectively challenge business operations regarding all aspects of risk arising from the bank’s activities
Behavior skills and technical skills
• Provide leadership and capacity development for the Risk Management department;
• Maintain productive working relationships with the line managers in the business development/Risk
• To demonstrate ability in quantitative analysis;
• Working knowledge of credit, market, operational risk;
• Thorough understanding of risk assessment and management methodologies;
• Detailed oriented with an eye for precision;
• Prior to joining the position, the employee must have satisfactory evaluation marks and not blacklisted anywhere.
• Ecobank Rwanda Plc is an equal opportunities company and females candidates are encouraged to apply, please apply if your career aspirations match this exciting opportunity.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.