Development Program Finance Officer
Jobs at:Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
Deadline of this Job:
10 July 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is the body of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) responsible for international cooperation. It is responsible for coordinating development cooperation, as well as Swiss humanitarian aid.
Swiss development cooperation is active in three priority themes in the Great Lakes region: governance and media, employment and economic development, and health. The SDC coordinates its actions in Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) through a regional program.
The regional directorate is based in Kigali, Rwanda
As part of the renewal of its regional strategy, the SDC in Rwanda is looking for candidates for the post of:
Finance Officer for Development Programs
The SDC is committed to participation, transparency and accountability, to equal treatment and non-discrimination, as well as to the effectiveness of its action and of the partners engaged with it. In general, the objective is to contribute to the creation of an environment in which the rule of law and human rights, equality between women and men, the appropriate distribution of powers and macroeconomic stability to enable economic development and the rise of the private sector.
Finance Officer for Development Programs
Professional qualifications / skills
• Hold a master's degree in management economics, with good knowledge of program management (PCM Project Cycle Management) or justify equivalent training or skills
• Very good knowledge of spoken and written French and English.
• Good computer skills, user level, particularly management and accounting software
• In-depth knowledge in all areas of financial management and accounting
• Experience in financial auditing and staff training in financial and accounting management
• Several years of professional experience, at least 5 years in the development cooperation environment (in particular in bilateral cooperation institutions), in the field of accounting, finance and administration
• Capacity in terms of support and accompaniment, particularly in capacity building, training and educational assistance for partners of SDC programs in administrative and financial management
Methodological qualifications / skills
• To be able to produce financial analyzes and summaries
• Write clearly and concisely
• Have educational and interpersonal skills (build skills, transfer knowledge, motivate employees and partners: Coaching, support, training)
• Have a sense of initiative and taking responsibility / autonomy
• Be prepared to make regular field visits to partners
• Be willing to travel for services in the sub-region, or in Switzerland
• Interest in development work
Social qualifications / skills
• Ability to work in a team
• Have interpersonal skills respecting the values of Swiss Cooperation
• Have great flexibility and good availability
• Negotiating skills
• Driving skills: Loyal, honest, conscientious, direct, assertive, and as an executive, to be a role model in mastering the various work tools and instructions of the SDC.
Field of activity / Purpose of the position
• Under the responsibility of the Head of Personal Finance and Administration, the program finance officer ensures professional accounting and financial management of SDC funds in Rwanda. It ensures the economical and efficient use in accordance with the goals of financial resources as well as the procedures and instructions accepted by the SDC and the Swiss Cooperation Office in Rwanda.
• He / She supports and advises program managers and SDC partners in setting up and monitoring their accounting organization, and participates in building their capacities in administrative and financial management.
• Through its proposals, financial management development policies are established to ensure the implementation of the cooperation strategy in Rwanda.
Tasks and skills
Monitoring of all financial and contractual aspects concerning the projects.,. Specialize in the IT tools necessary for accounting (SAP / ESPRIT, Vision +) and train new colleagues as needed. Collaborate closely with program managers, advise and support them regarding the management of all financial aspects of projects
• Support the organization of the external audit of the Swiss Cooperation Office in Rwanda in accordance with the instructions of the central; support and monitor the implementation of recommendations.
• Support the implementing partners in the organization of their audits,
• Financial management of programs
• Monitoring of all financial and contractual aspects concerning the programs in collaboration with the program managers and the legal advisor
Tasks and skills
Responsibility for project accounting
• Ensure the entry, maintenance and accuracy of all data relating to programs in the SAP / Esprit system (payments and settlements, establishment of contracts if necessary,
• Ensure and in collaboration with accountant the correct accounting (see SDC standards) concerning any financial transaction relating to programs (payments, settlements, etc.) in the accounting and project management systems (Vision + and SAP)
• Follow in collaboration with the accountant the clearance in accounting of the advance accounts of local and northern partners
• Prepare necessary documents regarding the accuracy of partner advance and fund accounts.
• Follow-up / training and support in financial management for all partners under SDC contract within the framework of the programs
Financial advice and support for program managers
• Support the PC and collaborate in the institutional analysis of partners (Partner Risk Assessment)
• Examine the financial parts of the entry proposals and the proposals for credits, additional credits, contracts etc., and carry out internal meetings with the program managers concerned on this subject and participate in the committees for reading the credit proposals.
• Check budgets, payment plans etc. projects and guarantee their accuracy and compliance with DDC standards
• Training and further training: It participates in agreement with the CFPA in the seminars of the SDC for professional or personal training, in the training provided by the Federal Administration and / or other training organized outside as required.
Successful candidates will be submitted to a written test to confirm their technical, linguistic and editorial skills.
Location : Kigali, Rwanda with trips to the Great Lakes region (Burundi and DRC)
Occupancy rate: 100%
Starting date: From September 2021
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please send your complete application file to the Great Lakes Regional Cooperation Office with the following documents:
Copies of diplomas
Copies of work certificates
1 recent photo
Contacts (phone and e-mail) of three reference persons
In view of the COVID-19 situation, thank you for sending the file by email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the mention "Finance officer for development programs"
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.