Jobs at:ActionAid Rwanda (AAR)
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, August 21 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 09 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The position exists to ensure the financial management of programme and legal integrity of ActionAid Rwanda (AAR) and local statutory requirements within the framework of the policies and procedures established and the requirements policy and guidelines are adhered to and complied with Under the direction of the Finance and People Management Lead (FPML), the Finance Officer – Programme (FO) will be responsible for overseeing AAR and partner programming compliance - Planning and Budgeting in relation to programme/ projects, Grant Management including EU,FCDO,UNWOMEN funded projects and the monitoring of budgets against activities. The FO is responsible for daily accounting duties including performing all accounting functions related to the role including financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, planning, grant management, monitoring expenditure, mainly funded projects and other assigned projects; alongside contract management system (CMS) for Finance section related , SUN system and audit participation with partners.
• The position holder fully adheres to and comply with ActionAid Code of Conduct and SHEA and Safeguarding policies both on-duty and off-duty.
Areas of Responsibilities Key Activities
Accounting and Finance
• Work with Programme Team and budget holders in relation to institutional and high value projects to input and support the work of Partner and Programme compliance.
• Verify all supporting documents from staff requests and preparing the payments for the line managers reviews and approval.
• Maintain financial reports and back up records.
• Record and hold all programme/project including funded projects related financial transactions into Sun system.
• Prepare bank reconciliation statements on a monthly basis for review by the Finance manager in a timely manner.
• Submit all internal programme/project financial reports – funded projects and any other assigned projects (monthly, quarterly) in a timely manner.
• Coordinate financial review and proactively address any irregularity in the partners' financial management.
• Consult with Finance and Grant Management Coordinator (F&GMC) to create template of budget/reports if needed to improve finance reporting and budget.
• Preparing fund transferred and expenditure of partners and reconciled in the system.
• Prepare and reconcile fund balance for all programme/projects including funded projects.
• Ensure all procurement is in accordance with ActionAid and donor guidelines.
• Ensure project costs recovery is charged as agreed budget and provide project costs recovery performance on monthly and quarterly basis.
• Working closely with finance team to conduct month-end and yearend closing for programme/project accounting transaction related.
Planning and budgeting Provide inputs, coordinate and assist in the annual budget development and consolidation.
• Contribute to the development, review and consolidation of country programme plans and budgets.
• Provide support to budget development for concept note/proposal budget development. Support F&GMC in preparing budget for finance department.
Partner assessment Participate in the assessment partner's financial system for selection partner to implement project funded.
Reporting and Coordination
• Extract data from sun system, preparing financial reporting, analyze and advise on performance of programme/ project including funded projects spending with variance analysis reports.
• Make adjustment/reconciliation as appropriate.
• Prepare annual budget of programme/project for internal purposes of the CP.
• Monitor expenditure against budget of all programme/projects - funded projects and any other assigned project.
• Create and maintain Finance folder for keeping all Finance document and reports of AAR and its partners.
• Produce monthly, quarterly, half year and the annual project financial report under his/her responsibility and submit to F&GMC and budget holders within the agreed timeframe.
• Provide support to partners on technical issues and reporting problems.
• Conduct and support financial partners for field visit monitoring trips to ensure that all project/programme accounting documents are accurate and follow the financial policies and guidelines.
Internal Controls and Audit
• Assist & provide support for external audit including global audit and funded project audits and internal audits and ensure audit process are running smoothly.
• Follow up audit recommendations. Consolidate all findings and highlight them to related people and inform to others if need.
• Consult the budget holders on financial report or other finance related work when necessary
• Do the finance review partners for funded project related and produce recommendation report to them on quarterly and yearly basis.
Partner Audit Oversee the financial review plan and process conducted by FO of each Partner and provide technical support/oversight on financial review to FOs.
• Participate in partner audit where and when required by F&GMC
• Consolidate audit report of relevant partners from relevant FOs and share with the F&GMC, F&PML and/or SMT on the result and audit report.
• Follow up on the audit recommendation and update of process through coordination with various finance and programme departments.
Policies, procedures and Finance Manual Assist in developing and updating all Finance policies, procedures and manual in collaboration with the Strategic Management Team, donors and partners.
• Support Partners on following AAC Financial Policy & Procedure Manual or Donor requirements.
• Support the continuous development of programme/project officer’s knowledge in programme/project appraisal and financial reviews.
Other Provides training/refresher/induction to all staff and partners on related fields, including grant compliance.
• Other responsibilities as requested by the F&GMC
• Assist and Support F&GMC and other necessary relevant assignment.
Education & Certifications
Bachelor’s degree in finance / Accounting, and having intermediate level of Professional course like CPA, ACCA etc, it will be an advantage.
Essential Experience Knowledge and Skills
• Five years consecutive experience in financial planning, budgeting, and cash management
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Advance Microsoft Excel, and any other financial system like QuickBooks– advanced and practical experience with Sun System will be an advantage.
• Proven leadership and problem-solving skills with ability to create and take initiatives
• Proven ability in assessment and improvement of financial systems and procedures
• Proven experience in developing, implementing and monitoring finance and administration policy, systems and procedures
• Familiarity with auditing, procurement system/procedure with experience/background and knowledge in partner capacity building is an asset
• Working for any other international or local NGO will also add advantage with proven experience in financial management for funded project such as FCDO,EU ,UNWOMEN funded projects will be an advantage.
• Financial reporting, analysis and management
• Excellent analytical and risk management skills
• Planning, organization, time management, and coordination
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda languages, knowing French language will be an advantage.
Desirable Knowledge, Experience and Skills
• Proven experience in preparing and analyzing financial reports and plans and drawing insight for use by management and different donors
• Strategic thinking Familiar with development and human right issues in the country
• Excellent analytical and risk management skill
• Work on own initiative with minimum supervision and to stay on task.
• Work under pressure and tight deadlines
• Travel frequently
• Result oriented person; ability to manage multiple tasks, work under pressure and meeting of deadlines.
• An honest and trustworthy person with attention to details and accuracy
• Excellence inter-personal communication/negotiation skills both in written/oral Kinyarwanda and English with strong sense of team spirit.
• These responsibilities cover the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs. It is part of every staff member's responsibility to contribute to AAR's mission and comply to AAR’s values, which are: Mutual respect, Equity and justice, Honesty and transparency, Solidarity with the poor, Courage of conviction, Independence, Humility
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months:
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified candidates should submit in filled application form through this Link: APPLICATON FORM FOR FINANCE OFFICER and send to Rwanda.email@example.com not later than Monday 21st August 2023 at 5:00 pm. Indicate in the subject line: Finance Officer.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• ActionAid Rwanda is an equal opportunity employer and Candidates will be expected to embody ActionAid’s values and adhere to organization policies including the Safeguarding Policy and the Child Protection Policy, among other ActionAid policies.
• Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.