Lecturer in Tourism Studies
Jobs at:University of Tourism, Technology and Business Studies (UTB)
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, August 16 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 01 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The University of Tourism, Technology and Business Studies (UTB) is a private higher learning institution with the vision of becoming a center of excellence in the region for the quality of academic programs and to be a solution provider for the training of professionals in hospitality, tourism, business and information technology.
• PhD or Master’s degree in Tourism Management or other related disciplines.
• At least 3 years relevant experience, teaching in a higher learning institution.
• Demonstrated teaching proficiency, and recent engagement with tourism-related activities
• The ability to apply management theory to sector-specific practices is essential.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of communicating effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills and report writing.
• Publications in recognized journals, textbooks, book chapters, etc.
General Duties and Responsibilities for all recruited UTB Academic Staff:
1. Facilitate Learning: Undertake all assigned teaching and related duties to facilitate the transfer of knowledge from lecturer to student. Foster an engaging and inclusive learning environment to encourage active participation and critical thinking.
2. Encourage Lifelong Learning: Encourage students to become lifelong learners who are eager and motivated to seek knowledge beyond the classroom. Emphasize the importance of learning as a continuous process rather than mere memorization.
3. Promote Practical Skills: Equip learners with the necessary skills, knowledge, and attributes required by future employers. Maintain a balance between theoretical concepts and practical applications to prepare students for real-world challenges.
4. Assess and Provide Feedback: Set, mark, and assess assignments, Continuous Assessment Tests (CATs), and examinations. Provide constructive feedback to students, enabling them to identify areas of improvement and enhance their learning experience.
5. Guide Research Projects: Supervise student research projects, assisting them in applying classroom knowledge to real-world data collection, analysis, and presentation of findings and recommendations.
6. Uphold Academic Integrity: Utilize anti-plagiarism software to ensure academic integrity and encourage students to produce original work.
7. Enhance Practical Experience: Supervise and support industrial attachments (internships) to maximize student learning outcomes from their practical experiences in professional settings.
8. Organize Field Trips: Plan and organize field trips to complement and enhance student learning, providing practical exposure to relevant industries and environments.
9. Utilize Technology: Design and upload teaching materials specific to e-learning and distance education platforms, utilizing UTB platforms (MIS, Digital Library, E-Learning, etc.) effectively.
10. Curriculum Development and Review: Identify areas where current curricula require revision or improvement. Actively participate in curriculum development and review processes to ensure the continuous improvement of teaching standards at UTB.
11. Research and Innovation: Attract funding for research, consultancies, and innovation proposals. Manage project personnel and deliverables effectively. Publish research in recognized journals, books, or textbook chapters, contributing to the academic community.
12. Professional Development: Engage in continuous professional development to stay abreast of advancements in the field of expertise and enhance teaching methodologies.
13. Show Willingness Beyond Described Duties: Fulfill any other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned by Heads of Departments, Deans or Senior Management.
14. Ethical Conduct: Act at all times and in all circumstances with integrity and moral behavior, serving as a role model for students and colleagues alike.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• All interested applicants who meet the listed criteria are requested to submit their applications addressed to the Director of Human Resources using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, 16th August, 2023 at 5:00pm. Submission of hard copies will not be accepted. Applications should include a Cover Letter, CV, copies academic documents and National ID/Passport. Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be contacted for interviews.
• Prof. Simeon Wiehler
• Vice Chancellor
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.