Jobs at:SMART Africa
Deadline of this Job:
05 February 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including the private sector, international non-government organisations, and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in ICT’s power for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead Africa to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformative power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services, and creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
Smart Africa aims to put ICT at the Center of the National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries, improve access to ICT, especially Broadband, improve accountability, efficiency, and openness through ICT. It promotes the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication while putting the Private Sector first, and leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development.
With this vision in mind, Smart Africa Secretariat is looking to hire a talented and highly motivated lawyer to support our rapidly growing and evolving organization. .
Scope of work
The “Legal Advisor” is expected to support Smart Africa on a broad range of issues, including but not limited to taking the day to day legal responsibilities and providing legal advice that includes all the aspects of the analysis, investigation and drafting process. He/she is responsible for a variety of legal issues concerning our activities across the organization:
• Conduct legal analysis and research on various legal matters; • Provide advice on regulatory framework with a proper understanding of the main terms and conditions of grants, joint bidding agreements, MOUs, Consortium agreement;
• Draft, review and negotiate simple and complex contracts and monitor the implementation of the legal clauses;
• Anticipate and manage the legal risks connected with or resulting from the business strategy and operations;
• Provide advice on general business law issues and managing the legal issues of all areas of the company, including but not limited to corporate matters, procurements, insurance and sustainability issues;
• Support the Secretariat in all legal aspects related to the coordination or implementation of flagship initiatives as well as its ordinary operations.
• Provide assistance in the development of complex tender documents and related agreement to ensure legal compliance.
• Secure compliance of business operations with relevant laws and regulations.
• Pro-actively create and maintain awareness of business employees for compliance with relevant laws and regulations;
• Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes and litigations.
• Represent SAS in potential litigation or other legal proceedings before any courts of law, tribunals, or quasi-judicial bodies ;
• Draft and/or review policies and procedures including but not limited to finilizing the Protocol of Agreement of the Smart Africa Alliance until it validates by its stakeholders;
• Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa;
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Master’s degree in ’s Degree in Law with Strong Academic credentials
• Membership in the Rwanda Association BAR if applicable
• 5 – 10 years of proven working experience in international organizations
• Strong Legal experience on managing external legal counsels
• Strong legal experience in corporate and commercial matters
• Demonstrated Experience in legal drafting, litigation, advisory, and dispute settlement
• Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels;
• Experience in results-based management, project monitoring, reporting, and evaluation;
• Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation, reporting, and computing skills and familiarity with modern communication systems (internet, the world wide web, email, and related);
• Ability to work in a team;
• Strong competence in using standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite or others).
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
• Strong written and oral communication skills in both French and English.
• A good working knowledge of another language will be an added advantage.
Duration of the assignment
The appointment will be for one (1) year renewable subject to availability of funds and performance assessment.
The Legal Advisor will report directly to the Smart Africa Chief of Finance and Operations Officer.
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the ToR;
A CV with 2 contact information of referees;
Please send your Curriculum Vitae, cover letter, either French or English to the following email address: email@example.com not later
than 15th February 2021, 5:00 pm Kigali time.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.