Deadline of this Job:
08 October 2021
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Vacancy for ambitious and knowledgeable professionals with a passion for rural development
Project: Out-grower Service Company model for maize and soybean in Rwanda
We are Agriterra, a Dutch agri-agency that provides business development services to ambitious cooperatives and farmer organizations in developing and emerging economies. We assist them with advice and training by locally based business advisors and by deploying practitioners from the Dutch and international farmer organizations and (cooperative) companies; the so-called Agripool experts. We apply a three-track approach: we make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led companies, we improve extension services to farmer members, and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organization, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development, and Lobby & Advocacy.
Agriterra works from local offices in a large number of countries. We work with self-steering teams, so our employees are challenged to use every bit of determination, creativity, and strategy to achieve our compelling goals. Being a self-steering organization makes Agriterra an inspiring and challenging environment for professional growth and development.
Agriterra has an annual turnover of approximately 15 million euros, is ISO certified, and has over 160 employees, both in the Netherlands and abroad. For more information, visit our website www.agriterra.org.
For a new and innovative initiative in the Rwandan maize and soybean value chains, specifically in Ngoma district, Agriterra Rwanda is looking for an accountant of an out-grower service company.
Introduction of the project
The Out-grower Service Company (OSC) model for maize and soybean in Rwanda is a pilot project that seeks to increase the soybean and maize productivity and supplies of raw materials for animal feed production. Several factories have been set up in Rwanda to process animal feeds, but they all lack sufficient availability of domestic quality maize and soybean, forcing them to import their raw materials. Most maize and soybean producers have organized themselves into cooperatives, but the efficiency of the cooperatives often requires further professionalization and upscaling. Having seen the situation, Enabel initiated the Out-grower Service Company model to provide solutions to challenges faced by both smallholder farmers and animal feed processors. In November 2020 Agriterra received a grant from Enabel to implement this project for a period of 3 years. The targeted number of direct beneficiaries is 3,000 maize and soybean farmers, located in the Eastern province, Ngoma district. Experiences of the pilot in Ngoma will be shared with cooperatives in Gisagara and Kirehe districts in year 2 of the project.
Background of the assignment
The animal feeds industry is a critical component of the livestock sector in Rwanda. However, over the years the sector faced significant challenges in producing sufficient animal feed to support the development of its livestock sector. These challenges include:
• Low productivity of the livestock sector with farmers utilizing grasses, maize, and legumes in feeding their animals which in many cases affects their productivity.
• Poor quality (high aflatoxin levels) and limited availability of maize (energy source).
• Lack of reliable domestic supply of Soya (plant protein) or alternatives.
• High cost of imported animal feed ingredients which positions the price of feeds above farmers’ purchasing power.
• The limited availability of alternative sources of calcium.
To this end, Enabel funded the implementation of the Out-grower Service Company Model to be piloted by Agriterra in the maize and soybean sectors to increase the local supply of animal feeds ingredients, increase the production levels of animal feeds and improve the productivity in the livestock sector.
Position: OSC Accountant
Location: Ngoma district, Eastern province
As an accountant, you will be based in the OSC office in Ngoma and will support the implementation of the Out-growers services company model in the maize and soybean value chains. The accountant position requires an experienced person with multi-annual experience in cooperative financial administration, especially in the maize/soy sector, with a high degree of independence, integrity, and problem-solving skills. To ensure that the project objectives are achieved in full, the job holder will be required to establish great cooperation and communication with OSC staff on the field, liaise directly with project partners (i.e. Enabel, RAB, and local government), and other key maize and soybean value chain partners (farm inputs suppliers, financial institutions, crop insurance companies, off-takers, and other services providers).
• Compile and analyze financial information prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts and ensure compliance with financial rules and regulations.
• Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
• Review entries and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
• Determine proper handling of financial transactions and approve transactions within designated limits.
• Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports to the Manager and the board of the OSC and explain them in an understandable manner.
• Prepare and submit tax declarations.
• Engage in and facilitate annual financial and tax audits as required by law
• Review of accounts payables and weekly check runs.
• Arrange reconciliations.
• Report, analyze and ensure the integrity of all financial information.
• Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports along with any other reports that may be required by the Senior Management or Board
• Facilitate the drafting of reports to the Board of Directors, Enabel, and the district.
• Carry out other relevant tasks as assigned by Agriterra Rwanda or the OSC manager.
• A0 in accounting with at least 2 years of working experience in a related field
• Knowledge of quick books or similar accounting software
• A respectful and motivated attitude towards farmers and their organizations
• Good computer skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Good interpersonal and writing skills in Kinyarwanda, French and English.
• Organizational skills
• Ability to work in an innovative business model, with loyalty to farmers, cooperatives.
• Ability to work in Ngoma District.
• Strongly developed analytical abilities and commercial insight
• A robust personality combined with the ability to work independently
• Good command of Microsoft office
• Knowledge of the OSC model is an advantage.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Are you interested in this position, and do you fit the profile? Apply before the 8th of October 2021 with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and academic certificate in one PDF file, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Mr. Jasper Spikker, Agriterra Rwanda country representative, with reference code ATRW-8706ACC. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.