Project Manager – 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Jobs at:Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
Deadline of this Job:
31 October 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Project Manager – 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing practical hands-on skills, Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will gain experience in the six Enterprises that include, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Fruit Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization, and Food Processing. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or take on positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
RICA has seen large-scale construction works since 2019 in Bugesera District of Rwanda, with the completion of campus-wide utilities and several residential, teaching, and production facilities. In 2022, RICA will begin construction of additional residential buildings for on-campus staff and partner agencies, production facilities, teaching buildings, and associated utilities (feed roads, landscape, water, power, ICT). Additional projects may include installation of commercial production equipment within agri-processing (e.g., grain processing, irrigation, food processing equipment, dairy processing equipment, poultry production lines). For an understanding of the current site, please view progress on Google Maps.
We are seeking a Project Manager to review proposal for, and oversee the construction of our additional facilities and the installation of large-scale equipment. An excellent Project Manager must be well-versed in project management tools and construction methodologies and procedures, cost management & control mechanisms and able to coordinate a team of professionals of different disciplines to achieve the best results. The ideal candidate will have great organizational skills. The Project Manager will report to the Director of Construction at RICA, within the Construction Department under the Vice Chancellor of Operations. This position is a full-time appointment for a 12-month fixed term period renewable.
• Coordinate with contractors/vendors, engineers, architects, quantity surveyors, agro-processing/production faculty, and facilities team-members to determine the specifications of the individual projects.
• Negotiating contracts with external vendors/contractors and allocate responsibilities. Act as the First point of Contact (FPOC) for any contractors or vendors hired for the construction projects, and reporting to the Director of Construction on issues encountered.
• Attend weekly construction progress meetings, technical meetings, and ad hoc meetings between the RICA team and onsite contractor, and report to Director of Construction. Keep short minutes of all meetings, where required, report and distribute.
• Monitor the flow of all technical and scheduling information between designers related to the project and contractors/vendors engaged to complete the work.
• Monitoring the activities of contractors and see to it that the contract is carried out according to specifications and drawings by attending site inspections and verifying tests results. This includes direct supervision of contractors, and oversight of their workforce (labor, mechanics, etc.).
• Communicate and draft any concern issues on the construction execution, quality of work, works procedures, progress on schedule, site safety, etc. to the Director of Construction.
• Determine needed resources (manpower, equipment, and materials) from start to finish with attention to budgetary limitations.
• Plan all construction operations and schedule intermediate phases to ensure deadlines will be met.
• Work with the Procurement and Logistics Manager to acquire equipment and material and monitor stocks through the Inventory Officer to timely handle inadequacies.
• Work with the Construction Director and DVC of Institutional Development (i.e., government relations) to apply and monitor relevant construction permits related to new construction works through the District’s ‘One Stop Center’ (under the Housing Authority).
• Evaluate progress of campus-wide projects and prepare detailed and timely reports to the Director of Construction & Engineering and the Vice Chancellor of Operations.
• Work with the HSE Coordinator to ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues for each construction project site on campus.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in construction management, civil engineering, or related field.
• Proven experience as a construction project manager (<10 years in sub-Saharan Africa).
• In-depth understanding of construction procedures and material and project management principles.
• Familiarity with Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) procedures and standards.
• Strong leadership, communication, and technical skills; diligence/attention to details.
• Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
• Good knowledge of MS Office and construction project management software.
• PMP or equivalent certification in project management will be an advantage.
• Experience with construction of agricultural production and processing facilities a plus.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Submit the following documents in English
• Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position.
• A resume or CV.
• Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Review of applications will begin October 31, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.