Rwanda Infrastructure Design Intern
Jobs at:One Acre Fund
Deadline of this Job:
29 November 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Rwanda Infrastructure Design Intern
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, our farmers harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for information.
About the Young Professionals Program
One Acre Fund’s Young Professionals Program offers high-performing African graduates meaningful internships and training opportunities at a high-performing, mission-driven organization. Our internships are paid and all interns can expect to receive substantive work assignments working on high-impact projects that support One Acre Fund's operations.
When joining, interns will participate in an onboarding program and receive training on how to design and execute projects. Throughout your internship, you will get the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals and receive learning opportunities to build strong foundations for your future career.
About the Role
We are looking for an infrastructure design intern to assist the Infrastructure Department in the production of architectural designs and the technical illustration of said designs for OAF's Infrastructure projects to ensure they are delivered on time to implementation teams and the highest standards of quality. This is a paid internship for one year starting November 2022 and you will benefit from mentoring opportunities with an accomplished team.
The infrastructure Department oversees the design, construction and management of construction and maintenance of in-house projects. The department is based in Kigali at the same time serving projects that are in rural areas across the country. You will report directly to the Design Specialist Architect.
• Ensure that all designs and specifications are documented and filed.
• Research Rwanda Building codes and standards and compile the relevant information/resources (including construction techniques, and materials research) to guide the project.
• Collect and ensure design data responds to the environment (including cultural and social context, wind, rain and sun patterns, availability of materials and labour).
• Coordinate the production of drawings and other technical documents to help communicate with the project partners and ensure that implementation follows design.
• Report to the Design Specialist on the progress of production of designs and drawings
• Coordinate with other members of the project team to ensure the architectural design details align with engineering (civil, structural and MEP) details and are both practical and cost-effective
• Work with construction site teams during the design phase to ensure the designs are practical and cost-effective.
• Assist the design team to update designs and drawings to respond to any unexpected situation during construction.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we deeply invest in our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training, and regular feedback on your performance. We’ll hold career reviews every one-three months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and gain rewarding technical experience.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
• Bachelor's Degree in Architecture.
• At least 3 years of proven experience working on architectural design projects
• Experience managing the production of all construction technical documents
• Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite, Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs and Rendering engines.
• Fluency in spoken and written Kinyarwanda and English. Knowledge of French will be an advantage.
• Proficiency in MS Suite and Internet and email applications.
• Prove to possess relevant technical skills.
• The ability to work as part of a team.
Interns will be provided with a reasonable stipend for the duration of their contract. Rural area-based fellows will be assisted in locating suitable housing.
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Rwanda
We hire on a rolling basis which means that applications are reviewed and processed continuously until a hire is made.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.