Senior Financial Advisor
Jobs at:Development Bank of Rwanda Plc
Deadline of this Job:
31 May 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Senior Financial Advisor
The Development Bank of Rwanda Plc “BRD”, a Public Company Limited by Shares, with a share capital of RWF 150,000,000,000, incorporated on August 5, 1967, company code N° 100003547, it's head office at Kigali, Postal Office Box 1341 Kigali.
The Development Bank of Rwanda is Rwanda’s only National Development Bank mandated to support Rwanda’s development goals. Over the last years, the bank has undergone substantial re-organization aimed at positioning it as an “innovative and sustainable provider of development finance for socio-economic impact”.
To achieve this vision, the bank’s new strategic plan (2018-2024) has outlined 3 key strategic themes.
• Operational Excellence: Continuous improvement of our credit and risk management system, financial performance and customer services.
• Strategic Partnerships: Forming strategic partnerships to deliver our mandate is a key component of our core activities.
• Dynamic Culture: Continuously improving our pool of knowledge to have the most competent and skilled employees.
BRD is committed to respecting gender equality and disability norms. We promote gender responsive practices. Qualified candidates particularly females and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To help accomplish this ambitious and exciting vision, the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) would like to recruit a suitable qualified candidate to fill the following position:
Senior Financial Advisor (1) - Afirr Project (Open for Rwandans & Non-Rwandans)
1. Background Information
Job Title: Senior Financial Advisor Current Grade: N/A
Duo Reports to: Functionally to AFIRR Project Coordinator Administratively to Head of SPIU
Direct Reports: N/A Indirect Reports: N/A
2. Contract Terms – 1 Year Consultancy on a full-time basis based in BRD HQ with possibility of extension with probability to renew
3. Purpose of the Job
• The Senior Financial Advisor will provide strategic inputs and support to PIU staff for successful implementation of AFIRR and achievement of the project development objective.
• His/her role will be to act as an advisor on relevant issues relating to AFIRR, including monitoring and evaluation aspects, evaluation of participating financial institutions and adequate operationalization of the PIM.
• Participation in the implementation of the Access to Finance for Recovery and Resilience Project (AFIRR) including financial management; procurement management; environmental and social risk management, institutional administration.
4. Main Responsibilities of the Job
Task 1: Strategic guidance to the Project Implementation Unit (within 12 months of the consultancy period)
The following shall constitute the scope of assignment for the Senior Financial Advisor in strategic guidance to the project implementation unit.
• Preparation of Standardized Capacity Building and Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for PFI.
• Provide technical support in implementing all aspects of the Project i.e. implementation quality, risks, etc.
• Review and analyze operational systems, guidelines and procedures relating to the AFIRR Project
• Provide guidance and advice to BRD management on all matters relating to manufacturing business and finance.
• Provide advice and support on the proper implementation of the budget provided under the AFFIR project across all components.
• Oversee and contribute to the technical assistance component: provide a quality control function on the procurement of consultancy services under the project. This involves preparing terms of reference, participating in selection process of consultants by reviewing proposals and then by working with consultants in delivering final products.
• Be a focal point for dissemination of activities related to AFIRR Project and assist the Project Implementation Unit in preparing briefing notes, presentation, and reports on technical aspects of the project for internal and external stakeholders.
Task 2: Eligibility and on-going eligibility assessment of PFIs (within 12 months of the consultancy period)
The following shall constitute the scope of assignment for the Senior Financial Advisor in terms of assessment of PFI’s before joining the project and on-going eligibility criteria to ensure that PFI’s demonstrate ongoing compliance with the set criteria and the following financial performance indicators throughout its participation in the project.
The advisor will lead the following scope of activities
• Interviews with senior management regarding the bank’s organization, business strategy, ownership, and governance structure;
• Interviews with senior management on the bank’s financial condition and profitability, including a review of related policy documents;
• Review and discussion of externally audited financial statements for the last three years and unaudited financial statements from the last three months;
• Interviews with senior management on lending policies, procedures, and practices. Discussion on details of credit risk assessment and management, collateral appraisal, loan classification and provisioning, collection on collateral;
Task 3: Understand AFIRR objectives and design and evaluate lending policies and procedures of PFIs and modifications required to align to the Project Implementation Manual of AFIRR (within 12 months of the consultancy period).
Task 4: Capacity building of PFI staff and AFIRR Staff. Timeline: within 12 months of consultancy serviced with BRD (excluding preparation time of final report of work done).
Task 5: Deliver training modules developed in Component 1 to all PFIs and BRD including monitoring and evaluation reporting, and support development of ToRs for various procurement activities under AFIRR and monitoring of their execution. This shall also include any assignment related to the Implementation of the Project that may be assigned to the Senior Financial Advisor by the immediate supervisor or the Management of the Bank.
Task 6: Capacity building of PFI staff Staff and BRD Staff involved in the AFIRR. Timeline: within 12 months of consultancy serviced with BRD (excluding preparation time of final report of work done). This shall also include any assignment related to the Implementation of the Project that may be assigned to the Senior Financial Advisor by the immediate supervisor or the Management of the Bank.
5. Performance indicators
• Number of firms supported by the project
• Number of women-inclusive firms supported by the project
• Volume of financial support provided to firms
• Number of firms receiving technical assistance under the project
• Non-performing loan (NPL) ratio of project portfolio
• Impact created i.e. jobs created and multiplier effect, tax generated, etc.
• Private capital mobilized by the project
6. Working relationships
• All BRD departments
• All Project stakeholders
7. Professional, academic qualifications and experience
• Relevant qualifications with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, economics, accounting or equivalent project management, or other related field from a recognized University/Institution.
• Demonstrated experience in managing important projects/businesses in developing countries or developing strategies of a similar scale financed by the World Bank or other International Developing Partners.
• Strong business and advisory experience with extensive finance/accounting background.
• Exceptional interpersonal, communication, writing and analytical skills.
• Ability to gather and analyze data and generate information for decisions making purposes. The advisor should be highly skilled in report drafting and presentations
• Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience working in emerging markets in the financial sector, of which 5 should be at a senior position.
• Demonstrated experience in carrying out multi-stakeholder consultations, engagement, and management.
• Knowledge of policies, practices, industry trends, technology and information affecting the banking industry.
8. Core competencies
• Experience in managing and/or coordinating businesses in developing countries.
• Experience in designing and delivering large scale capacity building programs for Financial Institutions.
• Advanced analytical and synthesis skills in the economic recovery area, and its inter-relations with the financial sector and economic resilience.
• On the ground experience of working on the Rwandan market, preferably financial sector.
• Knowledge in the manufacturing industry and their value chain in emerging markets
• Operational experience, ideally in an international environment working with financial institutions and government agencies.
• Strong interpersonal, cross-cultural and team player skills, yet with a capacity to work effectively on an independent basis
• Excellent oral and written communication in English
• Familiarity with modern techniques of knowledge dissemination, capacity to organize and manage seminars, ability to supervise team of consultants.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidate should apply online (https://www.brd.rw/careers/) and upload application documents including Curriculum Vitae, copies of degree certificates and professional certificates, motivation letter, names of three previous supervisors (as one document) as well as their emails and telephone.
Only online applications shall be considered.
Email only for inquiries (not application): firstname.lastname@example.org
Address all applications to the Head, Human Capital and Corporate Services of the Development Bank of Rwanda.
Deadline for application: Tuesday 31st May 2022
The employment package is highly competitive/attractive.
Due to expected high volume of applications, ONLY shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Done in Kigali, Tuesday 17th May 2022
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.