Book Development and Use Intern
Jobs at:Save the Children
Deadline of this Job:
05 May 2021
Date Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About the Role:
Save the Children is seeking a Book Development and Use Intern for an 8-month contract to work closely on the project funded by APIF (Africa Publishing Innovation Fund): The Project aims at supporting the community libraries in building the capacity of children in using digital resources in literacy, as well as strengthen parents’ and community’s capacity in supporting their children in using digital literacy materials.
The BDU Intern will be responsible of following up all the project’s field activities, and monitor the implementation progress, while documenting the evidence and best practices. This role works closely with Reading Ready Team both in planning and execution of project activities. .
Qualifications and experience
• University degree in library studies, social sciences, art studies, language and literature and any other relevant discipline;
• Ability to develop constructive relationships with a wide range of partners, including children, community librarians, artists, entrepreneurs, government workers, communities and local authorities;
• Ability to communicate effectively in Kinyarwanda and English, verbally and in writing;
• Understanding of and commitment to SCI mission, values and child rights-based programming approaches;
• Capacity to adapt and to learn quickly;
• Good team work spirit s well as the ability to work independently;
• Ownership and accountability of own work;
• Strong time management and organizational skills;
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Exposure or direct experience within the children’s books industry (linked to publishers, writers, editors, illustrators, designers, booksellers, and opinion leaders)
• Demonstrated passion for children’s book publishing and children’s rights to learn and read;
• Fluency in Kinyarwanda and English.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued
This position is on Child Safeguarding- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs. Or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
We are committed to ensuring a safe working environment for all those who work for us and for all those who come into contact with our staff and representatives, including children and members of the communities with whom we work.
SCI takes a zero-tolerance approach to sexual harassment and any other conduct that is discriminatory or disrespectful to others.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees through: https://rwanda.savethechildren.net/careers. Deadline for receiving applications is 5th May 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.