Jobs at:U.S. Peace Corps Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
31 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Peace Corps is an independent U.S. Government agency that sends American volunteers around the world to aid countries to fulfill their development needs. The three goals of the Peace Corps are:
• To help the people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women;
• To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of peoples served;
• To help promote a better understanding of other people on the part of Americans.
The Peace Corps currently operates in 65 countries, with over 7,000 American volunteers of all ages and backgrounds.
Peace Corps originally opened its program in Rwanda in 1974, working for 20 years before closing its offices in 1994. It reopened its program in 2008 and Peace Corps Volunteers are currently working in two sectors (Education and Health). We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who is a team player and self-starter with moral integrity to fill this vacancy.
Under the supervision of the Director of Management and Operations (DMO), the incumbent acts as the principal class B cashier for the Peace Corps office. S/He is responsible for local currency and dollar funds. S/He is responsible for accountability, examination, safekeeping, replenishment, reconciliation, and processing of all cash disbursements and collections via Peace Corps Imprest Fund ensuring that all such payments are valid, authorized, and properly documented and recorded. Cash disbursements may also include Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and Mobile Money transactions. The Cashier deals directly with the US Disbursing Office, local banks, vendors, Peace Corps/Rwanda staff, contractors, and Volunteers.
The Cashier is also responsible for a variety of additional financial and administrative tasks (both projects and regular tasks) as assigned by the DMO. These could include Travel Authorizations and Vouchers, Timekeeping, Purchase Card use and reconciliation.
Duties And Responsibilities
Before the staff member is granted a permanent designation as a cashier, the staff member must complete a cashier course and pass an examination. After receiving Cashier Designation, the Cashier is personally accountable for funds in local currency and USD; the amount is adjusted as necessary.
PC Office daily cashiering tasks
• Performs daily cash counts, balances and reconciles funds
• Prepares cash payments, disbursements and collections in RWF and US dollars
• Review and closes Cashier Vouchers or Bureau Vouchers (BV), requests cash replenishments
• Prepares vouchers to send to HQ
• Ensures all documentation is complete and accurate before transacting
• Conducts accommodation exchanges for US staff
• Processes interim advances and ensures clearance within 3 days
• Maintains up-to-date cashier’s statement of accountability worksheet
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the Cashier User Guide (CUG) manual and Peace Corps manual
• Clears advances within 72 hours and reports issues with outstanding advances to DMO.
Weekly/monthly cashiering tasks
• Prepares cashier replenishment vouchers
• Prepares cashier reconciliation statements
• Processes sub-cashier deposits and advance clearance
• Monitors and anticipates cash flow expenditures to maintain sufficient cash for Peace Corps operations while remaining below authorized accountability levels
• Withdraws cash from the bank
• Assist with opening of Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) bank accounts
• Follows up with I&M Bank on PCV bank and Principal PC account issues
• Serves as primary point of contact with local bank officials
Finance and Accounting tasks
• Enters all cash transactions into ForPost on a real-time basis, coding all payments and collections according to policy in the Peace Corps Manual and the Overseas Financial Management Handbook.
• Maintains all records of and ensures the safekeeping of all accountable forms, including collections forms, cashier reimbursement vouchers and/or accountability report forms, and deposit slips.
• Maintains accurate and current files of sub-vouchers, cashier replenishment requests, purchase card and travel card, reconciliation and verification documents, Financial Services Center (FSC) Charleston reports, and all other relevant cashier documents
• Recommends possible solutions to the DMO about financial issues or the establishment of suitable control procedures. Tracks exchange rates. Required Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field.
Prior Work Experience:
Minimum 3 years of experience in Accounting, Bookkeeping, Cashiering, Banking or related field required.
English and Kinyarwanda (speaking/reading/writing) are required. Candidates will take a proficiency test.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to work a wide range of problems in collections, payments and in reconciling sub-cashier accounts with accountability
• Ability to work effectively with a team.
• Ability to work independently as needed to support the group effort
• Ability to maintain focus on details, prioritize, multi task, and remain calm under pressure.
• Agility and flexibility with changing priorities and new situations.
• Ability to obtain a background security clearance from the US Embassy
• Excellent knowledge of computers, with skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet. Candidates will take a proficiency test.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates must submit via email ONLY CV/resume and a cover letter through Job in Rwanda "Apply" button below by October 31, 2022. The title of the position should be clearly marked in the subject line of the email message. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Peace Corps is an equal opportunity agency.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.