National Advisor for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
Jobs at:The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Deadline of this Job:
24 July 2021
Date Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Sector: Environmental, Other
Education level: Master
Desired experience: Senior (5+ years of experience)
Contract type: Full-time
National Advisor for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
Good Governance and Decentralization (DGG) Programme
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
The Decentralization and Good Governance (DGG) programme is jointly implemented by GIZ and its Rwandan partners, including the Ministry of Local Government, the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning as well as several civil society organizations (CSOs). At the core of the DGG programme is the support to partners in improving the districts’ ability to effectively, efficiently and transparently deliver public services to its 11.3 million (est. 2015) citizens. This is achieved, on one hand, through technical advice on policy reform processes and guidelines that regulate planning, budgeting and intergovernmental relations. On the other hand, capacity building of both district authorities and CSOs aims to strengthen their ability to fulfill their responsibilities in a participatory manner. Critical to the advancement of the decentralization effort is also the ability of districts to generate and effectively manage limited financial resources.
The programme provides technical advisory services through international and national long- and short-term experts, funding for capacity development measures as well as equipment to a minimal extent.
The specific fields of intervention for the programme are: 1) Sector Decentralization, 2) Fiscal Decentralization and Local Revenue Generation and 3) Citizen – State Relations.
In 2021, the Programme will receive additional resources to streamline Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation measures in its programme. Aligned to the intervention area on Citizen-State relations, the main activities will focus on supporting local government in the integration of nationally determined contributions (NDCs) in planning processes as well as other local level climate adaptation measures. It is expected that this area of work will continue in the follow up phase of the programme (from January 2022 – December 2024).
The Decentralization Programme is searching for one candidate for the position of Climate Change Adaptation at Local Level Adviser.
Fixed Term: until 31.12.2021 (with possibility of extension until 31.12.2024)
Position: One (1)
The officer is responsible for:
• Managing specific activity packages relating to climate adaptation and resilience building mechanisms at local level
• Serving as a primary focal person for partners of the Decentralization Programme implementing climate adaptation activities at local level (civil society, public bodies and independent consultants)
• Identify and support the coordination of activities, in particular at local level to enhance integration of nationally determined contributions (NDCs) in local government planning processes and other climate adaptation measures
• Establish and maintain strong professional relationship with partners
• Support the technical management and steering of national short-term experts on climate change adaptation in her/his area of responsibility
• Supporting the monitoring, reporting, planning and budgeting of activities conducted in the area of climate change adaptation and for the Project
• Contribute to any other team efforts deemed necessary by to enhance the work of DGG in Rwanda, including operational planning, efforts at boosting visibility, etc.
• Provide inputs and comments on concept notes submitted by partners
• Support the implementation of Fiscal and financial decentralization policy and strategy
• Applies GIZ’s Capacity Works in his daily work
• Coordinates and prioritises relevant intervention activities in cooperation with the partners, both as regards the organisational preparation and implementation of the activities
• Compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
• Supports his colleagues and the Component Manager in strategy development for the intervention areas of fiscal decentralization
• Represents GIZ-DGG interests during meetings with partners and DPs,
• In cooperation with his teammates, be able to represent GIZ interests and ensure they are well addressed in the work of external consultants
• Fosters the visibility of GIZ-DGG and its work with the Development Partner community and the programmer’s stakeholder landscape
• Professional advisory services
• advises partner institution(s) and colleagues technically on the development of concept notes especially in the field of climate change adaptation and strategies by providing technical inputs,
• works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach in the field of climate adaptation at local level,
• contributes to preparation and implementation process for joint programme activities,
• formulates terms of reference and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out programme activities related to climate change adaptation,
• deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the area of responsibility,
• monitors programme progress in interventions on climate adaptation,
• reviews report and documents on the progress of the joint action plan,
• identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the team
• Networking and cooperation
• ensures effective cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with the partners
• supports the liaison with other Development Partners and shares insights with the rest of the team
• compiling information on the intersection of climate change adaptation and decentralization in Rwanda and ensures information sharing within the intervention and at the programme level, using appropriate GIZ channels and tools
• formulating appropriate inputs for various programme reports including annual reports and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Tightly managing the contractual obligations with respect to climate adaptation activities
• performs other duties and tasks at the request of Management of DGG.
• Understands and is able to apply GIZ’s procurement regulations in supporting the implementation of partner activities
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
Qualifications and professional experience
• Masters/MSc or bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Geography, Environmental Studies or closely related qualification
• With a minimum extensive professional experience of five years (5) in comparable positions
• Five (5) years’ professional experience in the field of climate change adaptation, ideally at local level
• Relevant track records of working experience with local government is a requirement
• Demonstrated technical understanding of climate change trends and topics in Rwanda, with respect to local government
• Demonstrated experience in supporting capacity building of relevant actors particularly in the field of climate change adaptation/mitigation
• Hands on experience in working in partnership with public and private (consultants) representatives
• An understanding of the DP landscape in Rwanda in the area of climate change is a strong asset
• Other knowledge and additional competences
• Very good working knowledge of using computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
• a proven track record in comparable position
• full working proficiency of the English language is required
• willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
• A team player with a demonstrated ability to work alongside stakeholders from various nationalities and seniority levels in the public sector
• Ability to work independently and proactively follow up on tight deadlines and ongoing commitments
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 24th June 2021 at 4h00PM by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org All attachments should be put together in one PDF file not larger than 2 MB. Please quote the job title in the subject.
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please let us know, if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to consider, when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.