Jobs at:Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, June 05 2023
Date Posted: Saturday, May 27 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Underpinned by strong economic growth and high-level government commitment, the potential to accelerate improvements in nutritional outcomes in Rwanda is very high. The food systems pathway submitted by the
• Government of Rwanda at the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit provides a strong basis for realizing a range of food systems improvements that have the potential to improve the nutritional status, particularly of young children and women. The preparation of the next National Strategy for Transformation (NST-2) and the next Strategic Plan for Agriculture (PSTA-5) provide the opportunity to elevate nutrition outcomes as a priority and to advance these outcomes through the identification of a set of coherent and impactful policies, programmes and actions.
• The Policy Advisor will support the Senior Policy Advisor to implement a structured process of building food systems actions that have the potential to advance nutritional outcomes into the next National Strategy for Transformation (NST-2) and the next Strategic Plan for Agriculture (PSTA-5) with a focus on helping key decision makers to understand the necessary policy changes through the provision of evidence and analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities
The postholder will support with the development and implementation of an integrated country strategy for the delivery of technical assistance, policy advocacy and programme support in Rwanda, by providing a sound technical underpinning for the policy influencing work that ensures the confidence of government and non-government analysts.
• Lead on the provision of technical policy support through conducting data-based analyses to predict how policies will impact food and nutrition outcomes.
• Compile insights from these analyses and from the existing literature into simple yet nuanced narratives, through for example, contextualized briefing documents.
• Establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with technical specialists in government and non-government organizations to forge consensus on what needs to be done on a technical level to accelerate nutrition outcomes.
• Manage the identification of knowledge and implementation gaps and possible solutions.
• Produce and deliver periodic updates and briefs and identify key data and learnings to be used for the GAIN website, internal stakeholders and Knowledge Leadership system.
• Facilitate the organization of dialogues, learning opportunities and meetings.
• Monitor, engage and represent GAIN in key national-level and country-level policy fora and meetings.
• Support dissemination of key messages arising from GAIN through e.g. Media, social media, and positioning events.
• Any additional responsibilities mutually agreed with the Senior Policy Advisor
Key organisational relationships
• Reports to Senior Policy Advisor, Rwanda
• Policy and Advocacy team
• Programme Services Team, Knowledge Leadership, Communications, Nutrition Connect and implementation focal points.
• Key partners including government, communities, private sector, UN, civil society organizations, donors, research institutions
• Strong analytical skills in the field of food and nutrition related policy analysis, including for example political economy analysis, budget analysis.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to explain complex food and nutrition issues to non-specialist audiences inside and outside government.
• Demonstrated excellence in research, writing, and analytic ability.
• Deep practical knowledge of the Rwandan food and nutrition situation and stakeholders.
• Understanding of food systems transformation approaches with the ability to leverage this understanding to achieve positive outcomes.
• Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgement, expert problem solving and creativity.
• Diplomacy, patience and tact.
• IT literate with full command of MS Excel, Power Point and MS Word and Outlook.
• Understand the Rwanda context, culture, language and dynamics with the ability to translate this into effective working practices.
• Proactive with a commitment to quality and accuracy with close attention to detail.
• Able to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure, demonstrating patience and persistence.
• Ability to work effectively and independently in a multi-cultural, cross-functional team with a flexible and adaptable approach to work.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a range of different stakeholders from public sector, international organizations, business, farmers, civil society, academia, consumers, etc.
• Proven experience of engaging in the food and nutrition policy making process in Rwanda
• Experience in developing policy reports (either as contributor or author)
• Ability to present the implications of policy analysis in a way that recognizes that the best technical solutions are the ones with the least political salience.
• Strong stakeholder management and advocacy experience with the demonstrated capacity to work closely with national stakeholders to advocate for and progress nutritional outcomes.
• Proven track record in data analysis that has influenced government, donors and others.
• Experience in a global, multicultural organization preferred.
• Familiarity with some of GAIN’s advocacy tools: Food Systems Dashboard, Enabling Business to Advance Nutrition Index (EBANI), Access to Nutrition Index (ATNI), etc.
• Experience in public health and/or nutrition is highly desirable.
• Advanced degree in relevant area e.g., public health or nutrition, business or public administration, public policy or related field or equivalent combination of stakeholder engagement and project management work experience.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda required.
• Willingness and ability to travel, within and outside of Rwanda.
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Existing right to live and work in Rwanda.
• Pragmatic, dynamic and autonomous person.
What Gain Offers
• Flexible working hours
• Friendly working environment
• Professional development opportunities
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months:
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.