Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor (WASH)
Jobs at:Catholic Relief Service (CRS)
Deadline of this Job:
02 November 2020
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor (WASH)
Reports To: Chief of Party I, Rwanda
Country/Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Salary Grade: 9
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion, or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance, and peacebuilding.
CRS Rwanda Program background:
Catholic Relief Services has been present in Rwanda since 1960, and currently implements projects in nutrition, WASH, agriculture, youth entrepreneurship, and peacebuilding. The Country Program has around 45 staff and implements its projects through local and international partners, with strong coordination/collaboration with Government of Rwanda structures. The FY20 program value is approximately $8 million .
Pending a successful bid for the award, the Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor (WASH) will work as part of a team and provide oversight of the technical quality and implementation of a five-year USAID WASH program. He/she will be responsible for private sector development and WASH financing aspects in this project. The project aims to improve access to, and utilization of, safe drinking water and sanitation services in ten districts in Rwanda. The project will 1) strengthen decentralized WASH governance, including improving District WASH Boards performance and increasing public funding for the WASH sector, 2) Improve Rural Drinking Water Services, including improving the capacity of district WASH services regulator, provision of reliable water services, and increasing funds for operations and maintenance, and 3) improve rural sanitation services through increasing user’s willingness to pay for sanitation services and products and availability of sanitation services and products.
The Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor (WASH) will provide technical expertise on private sector development issues, including analysis of the evolution of the WASH private sector, the opportunities for entrepreneurs, and the role of regulation and standardization. S/he will represent the project on public-private sector issues at technical, policy, and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donors. He/she will assist with innovative financing strategies to increase District-level infrastructure financing and enhance the ability of private sector WASH entrepreneurs to access financing. His /Her management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
• Design and implement needs-driven and evidence-based activities, adhering to CRS program quality standards and employing best practices from CRS programming
• Manage a key aspect of the development, implementation and consolidation of the WASH program. Serve as a point of contact for private sector development and financing to the donor as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders, when needed.
• Manage key functions of the project to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget. Contribute to ensuring the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
• Maintain relationships with key staff of consortium partner organizations in regard to private sector development. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
• Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and recommend training and technical assistance
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Master's Degree in Finance, International Development, International Relations, WASH, environmental or civil engineering, public health, business administration, governance, or relevant field.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in the private sector or providing technical assistance to improve private sector performance and financing.
Required Languages – Strong oral and written skills in both English and French/Kinyarwanda
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
• Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
• Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented, and results-oriented.
• Recognized technical experience and qualifications in WASH financing and/or private sector development.
• Excellent English writing skills.
• Prior experience in the private sector or in financing.
• Demonstrated experience of successful private sector partnership development/financing, preferably in WASH
• Experience engaging partners (international and local organizations, private sector, government, etc.) and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
• Presentation and facilitation skills.
• Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
• Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: program staff.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, MEAL Coordinator, Country Representative, Programming staff, Finance Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, HQ based Public Donor Liaison.
External: Donors, partner INGOs and local NGOs, Caritas, and peer agencies.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Please note that this position is contingent upon award of the funding opportunity and the USAID’s approval of a Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor (WASH) candidacy.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Electronic applications-Only a motivation letter and a current detailed CV should be addressed to the CRS Country Representative exclusively at RW_HR@crs.org not later than Monday, November 2, 2020, at 5:00 pm.
Please, include below statement in your motivation letter:
“By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics”
Include also your full names and title “Private Sector Development and Finance Advisor” in the subject line. Due to anticipated high interest in this post and the expected number of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Kigali. October 27, 2020
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.