Programme Associate (SAMS)
Jobs at:World Food Program (WFP)
Deadline of this Job:
08 September 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position will be based in WFP Rwanda, Kirehe/Huye Field Office and the job holder will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Field office. At this level, the job holder will be expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only minimal guidance. This position requires an experienced individual with a degree of judgement in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis and is expected to manage resources, coach and coordinate staff, as well as liaise directly with subnational-level government actors. The job holder will be responsible for the field implementation of key smallholder-farmer (SHF) related activities, including (but not limited to): The Farm to Market Alliance (FtMA), Home Grown School Feeding (HGSF), a joint programme for Rural women economic empowerment (RWEE), and WFP’s post-harvest loss reduction initiative (PHLR).
In Rwanda, WFP currently supports more than 160 farmer cooperatives with a membership of more than 50,000 farmers. WFP takes the lead in coordinating this market access support for smallholder farmers through an extensive partnership with value chain stakeholders. WFP is looking for an individual to push forward these efforts.
Under the general supervision of the head of the field office, and direct/technical supervision of the National Programme Policy Officer (SAMS unit), the Programme Associate will be responsible for providing effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and Programme activities linked to smallholder farmers support within the delegated authority.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
• Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
• Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
• Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
• Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
• Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
• Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
• Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
• Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
• Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
• Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
• Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
• Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
• Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
• Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to the team on how to build relationships with external partners.
• Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
• Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities linked to SHF support and processes at the field office level, supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
• Act as the focal point for all SHF-related field activities, in close consultation with the WFP country office and SHF unit.
• Provide specialized support to SHF operations and programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures in the following areas:
• Conduct needs assessments of target SHFs, using standardized tools and approaches
• Facilitate participating farmer organizations and farmer-friendly aggregation entities to access agricultural services by coordinating with key value chain stakeholders on the ground
• Facilitate linkages of cooperatives to private sector entities for access to post-harvest handling equipment
• Monitor and assist cooperatives and other aggregation entities to adhere to terms of forward delivery contracts facilitated by WFP
• Conduct training of trainers of partner staff, as well as ensure quality monitoring of all SHF-related capacity building activities
• Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
• Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
• Liaise with internal counterparts across functional units to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
• Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and sub-national government institutions to perform SHF-related activities in a timely and effective manner.
• Support the capacity building of WFP staff, and cooperating partners involved in implementing WFP supported activities related to smallholder farmers.
• Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems related to SHF support within the geographic area of responsibility.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This position requires an individual with substantial experience in working with smallholder farmers and small and medium enterprise (SME) development. Particular focus on the maize and beans value chains is required, with extensive experience working with value chain actors (including financial institutions, transporters, buyers and processors). Previous experience with WFP or other UN agencies is desirable.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s University degree in education, Nutrition, Project Management, Agriculture, International Development, International Relations, Sociology, or other related fields.
• Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Fluency in Kinyarwanda
Knowledge & Skills:
• Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect Programme implementation throughout the lifecycle to inform quality Programme design or re-design.
• Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
• Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to the SAMS portfolio.
• Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation, and realignment of the programme
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• At least 3 years of relevant experience working in the agriculture sector with a focus on support to smallholder farmers or related area
• Has contributed to the implementation of programmes.
• Has experience working in remote areas
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE: Programme Associate, SC 6
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Service Contract Level 6
UNIT/DIVISION: Smallholder Agriculture Market Support (SAMS)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Kirehe, Rwanda
DURATION: 12 Months Renewable subject to Performance and availability of fund
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for submitting Applications is September 8 2021 at 23:45 CAT
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link below to sign up and apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.