Senior Policy Advisor
Jobs at:Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, June 05 2023
Date Posted: Saturday, May 27 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Underpinned by strong economic growth and high-level government commitment, the potential to accelerate improvements in nutritional outcomes in Rwanda is very high. The food systems pathway submitted by the
• Government of Rwanda at the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit provides a strong basis for realizing a range of food systems improvements that have the potential to improve the nutritional status, particularly of young children and women. The preparation of the next National Strategy for Transformation (NST-2) and the next Strategic Plan for Agriculture (PSTA-5) provide the opportunity to elevate nutrition outcomes as a priority and to advance these outcomes through the identification of a set of coherent and impactful policies, programmes and actions.
• To achieve this goal, GAIN is seeking a Senior Policy Advisor for an anticipated 18-month project (with an extension of up to 5 years, subject to funding).
• The Senior Policy Advisor will be responsible for leading a structured process of building food systems and related actions that have the potential to advance nutritional outcomes into the next National Strategy for Transformation (NST-2) and the next Strategic Plan for Agriculture (PSTA-5) with a focus on helping key decision makers to understand the necessary policy changes that evidence and analysis suggest are politically possible and how to influence the policy process so that they are more likely to be prioritized in the national strategies.
• This role will be based in the new project office in Kigali and therefore the position holder will coordinate and establish the start-up phase with support from the GAIN global team and is expected to be both responsive and proactive to operational requirements. The postholder will be responsible for supporting with overall country team management to support the delivery through high-performing staff and will lead on proposal development and resource mobilization efforts.
Tasks and responsibilities
The postholder will lead GAIN’s policy work in Rwanda and carry out the following tasks:
• Create and deliver a series of dialogue and learning opportunities for key decision makers from government and business to identify and include nutrition accelerating actions in their decision-making processes.
• Develop and lead a structured process to ensure the inclusion of practical and coherent policies, programmes and actions the evidence suggests are likely to be impactful on nutrition status into key national strategies, inter alia through:
• Close liaison and dialogue with key government stakeholders in the nutrition policy process o Close liaison with a wide range of non-government nutrition stakeholders to build a wider consensus for policy change.
• Close liaison with the research community to ensure that policy changes being recommended are likely to be impactful and implementable.
• Work closely with government agencies to identify prioritized and sequenced actions to advance nutritional outcomes, based on technical, political and capacity considerations.
• Work with development partners to identify and realize resource opportunities for implementation, advocacy and alignment support.
• Facilitate GAIN expertise derived from its global expertise into national consultation and planning see [www.gainhealth.org].
• Monitor, attend and engage to represent GAIN, where appropriate, in key national-level and country-level policy fora and meetings.
• Lead on external engagement with key stakeholders in government, private sector, UN, donors and civil society including academia, media, and other development practitioners; to improve support for GAIN’s mission and increase resources allocated to nutrition
• Create opportunities to spread key messages arising from GAIN through e.g., Media, social media, and positioning events.
Team management and leadership
• Lead the office set up and organizational establishment with support of the GAIN Global Team
• Line management of the Policy Advisor and the Finance and Admin Officer, overseeing administrative, coordination and financial management by the Finance and Admin Officer
• Represent GAIN at national level as country liaison. Overall country team management to support the delivery through high-performing staff to create by maintaining an effective and motivated team.
• Lead proposal development and resource mobilization efforts
Key organisational relationships
• Reports to the Senior Advisor, Policy and External Relations
• Line manages the Policy Advisor and the Finance and Admin Officer
• Policy and Advocacy team
• Programme Services Team, Knowledge Leadership, Communications, Nutrition Connect and implementation focal points.
• Key partners including government, communities, private sector, UN, civil society organizations, donors, research institutions
• Excellent understanding of food systems transformation approaches with the ability to leverage this understanding to accelerate positive nutrition improvements.
• Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgement, expert problem solving and creativity.
• Excellent interpersonal communication, writing and presentation skills.
• High levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence
• IT literate with full command of MS Excel, Power Point and MS Word and Outlook.
• Understanding of the Rwanda context, culture, language and dynamics with the ability to translate this into effective working practices.
• Strong team leadership abilities with the ability to motivate and mobilize stakeholders within or outside their reporting line.
• Proactive with a commitment to quality and accuracy with close attention to detail.
• Able to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure, demonstrating patience and persistence.
• Ability to work effectively and independently in a multi-cultural, cross-functional team with a flexible and adaptable approach to work.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a range of different stakeholders from public sector, international organizations, business, farmers, civil society, academia, consumers, etc.
• Extensive working experience of engaging in the food and nutrition policy making process in Rwanda at a senior level.
• Proven leadership experience
• Ability to grasp the implications of policy analysis and to influence policy processes in a subtle way.
• Significant professional experience of policy development and planning work within a government setting that involves public private engagement and demonstrated respect within government circles.
• Strong stakeholder management and advocacy experience with the capacity to work closely with national stakeholders to advocate for and progress nutritional outcomes.
• Proven track record in influencing government, donors and others and working with people at high levels Experience in a global, multicultural organization preferred.
• Experience in engaging in food policy dialogue at high levels in local context.
• Experience in public health and/or nutrition is highly desirable.
• Experience in resource mobilization, business development or non-profit organization development sector is desirable.
• Previous experience with coordinating the setting up a regional / project office will be an additional advantage
• Advanced degree in relevant area e.g., public health or nutrition, business or public administration, public policy or related field or equivalent combination of stakeholder engagement and project management work experience.
• Excellent command of written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda required
• Willingness and ability to travel, within and outside of Rwanda.
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Existing right to live and work in Rwanda.
• Pragmatic, dynamic and autonomous person.
What Gain Offers
• Flexible working hours
• Friendly working environment
• Professional development opportunities
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months:
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.