Social Business Accountant
Jobs at:SOS Children's Villages Rwanda
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, June 02 2023
Date Posted: Saturday, May 27 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Under the overall supervision of the Social Business Manager, the Social Business Accountant will be responsible for co-ordination and supervision of financial matters of the Social Businesses for SOS Children’s Villages which include the Schools, Training Center, Bakery, Parking Lots, Guest Houses, Agricultural Activities, natural water sources and the like. In close collaboration with the Chief Accountant and the guidance of the Head of Finance, the position holder will ensure the provision of a high-quality financial accounting service that supports the effective and efficient management of all financial resources, within statutory and regulatory guidelines and will work within the finance team supporting accurate and timely processing of financial transactions and processes, and internal/external reporting requirements.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
1. Oversees guides and controls financial matters ensuring that the social business operates in accordance with Financial Policies and Procedures of SOS Children’s Villages international and are in line with the generally accepted accounting principles.
2. Maintains assigned general ledger accounts with journal entries and account reconciliations in compliance with Organisation’s reporting requirements, assists in the construction of budgets and forecasts, and provides general support for the financial and accounting processes of the SOS CV. A highly detail-oriented person with the ability to meet deadlines monthly, quarterly, and annually.
3. Ensures that all payments are genuine, are properly supported and accounted for; and all receipts are properly documented and timely banked.
4. Proposes and implements (upon approval) new Financial and Administrative procedures and systems improvement aimed at strengthening the Organization’s Financial Control in conjunction with the Head of Finance through the Chief Accountant.
5. Providing support, assistance and cover across the wider Finance team to manage team absences and peak periods, which may include hands on support and/or managing additional financial responsibilities and staff.
Co-ordinates Annual Budget Preparation Process and Finance transfers.
f. In consultation with the Head of Finance, supports the Social Business Manager and facility heads to prepare and develop their annual budgets.
1. Ensures that all Proposals from facility Heads are timely obtained documented and discussed with the Head of Finance: and that the proposed country budget is accurately prepared well in time to meet the required deadlines for approvals.
2. Periodically checks the approved annual budget revenues, expenses and balances and advises the Social Business Manager and the other facility heads on deviations and variances, and helps to report and suggest adjustments or budget re-allocation where necessary.
3. Co-ordinates transfer of funds from National Office: and transfer of funds to facility accounts in consultation with the Social Business Manager and the Head of Finance. Regularly checks the bank balances and ensures there are always sufficient finances to run the Social Business smoothly all the time in accordance to the approved budget.
Enhances Internal Controls
1. Responsible for coordinating the oversite of all social business finances and assets, performing fiscal and budget analysis, reconciliations, and postings; assisting in the development of financial statements, reports, and Social Business proposals.
2. Works with Social Business Manager and the Chief Accountant to develop or improve communications for reporting of revenues, costing, cash flow, and financial analysis of operating results. An accountant will perform audits of records and adherence to SOS CV policies and procedures.
3. Checks the Pro-forma Invoices, bills and payment vouchers to see if the expenses are appropriate and within the budget limits, as well as the accuracy of the bills and invoices before payment is made.
4. Regularly checks the Bank and Cash Registers as well as the Bank Statements of all accounts so as to ensure that all payments and withdrawals were authentic. Immediately reports any irregularity noted for necessary action.
5. Checks all Cash and Bank Registers and their related vouchers monthly for accuracy, ensuring they are correctly reconciled, expenses are correctly coded and all supporting documents are available.
6. Assists with the establishment of proper store-keeping records and procedures. Conducts regular checks of all stores for the Social Business and verifies physical balance with the stock cards balance.
7. Regularly checks registers for all revenues by carrying out a revenue tracking exercise so as to ensure all revenues are promptly collected. Reports any overdue amounts to the Social Business Manager for appropriate action.
8. Conducts various spot checks within each facility. e.g., Petty cash, sales of uniforms, fees collection, donations and billings.
9. Periodically supports the Administrative Assistant to check family accounts and assess the effective utilization of food and household allowance: and reports any discrepancies, or makes recommendations whenever necessary.
10. Ensures that all measures to strengthen internal control as recommended by auditors in various audit reports are implemented and adhered to by the Social Business.
Entering the monthly accounting data for SOS CV Social Business in the Navision accounting software.
Performs Detailed Accounting Tasks
1. Checks Bank and cash registers of all the Social Businesses; and the bank statements of all Social Business accounts, and prepares reconciliation statements monthly.
2. Checks if all payment vouchers have been properly prepared with relevant accounting codes and numbers and with adequate supporting documents and those entries made in the registers tally with the payment vouchers.
3. Proposes budget adjustments/reallocation, if necessary, for approval.
4. Keeps records and custody of all used and new cheque books, bank statements, payment vouchers, filled bank registers, receipt books - used and new, finance approvals and other finance documents in an orderly manner for easy retrieval for checking and for audit purposes.
5. Regularly monitors the budget balances against the expenses and advises the Social Business Manager and the financial controller accordingly to ensure that budget allocations are not surpassed, and that all expenses are within the budget limits.
6. Administers food and household and clothing allowances for the Social Business according to the approved rates, and the payroll for the Social Business and ensures correct deductions of income tax, NSSF, proper recovery of salary advances and loans etc.
7. Regularly checks the accuracy of all bills (telephone, electricity bills, maintenance claims etc.) for accuracy and authenticity, and recommends payment before vouchers are prepared
8. Prepares and provides statistics summaries of the Social Business for the Quarterly and Annual Reports.
Requirements – Knowledge, experience, skills and competencies
A Bachelor’s degree in the following is particularly favoured:
• Any other related field.
With a minimum of 5 years practical experience in accounting. Having a professional certificate is an added advantage.
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities
• Knowledge of using any accounting software
• Proven ability to draft, edit and produce Accounting/Finance reports
• Proven experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors
• Awareness and understanding of social development issues
• Strong networking, partnership and interpersonal skills.
• Positive and professional approach: highly organised, results oriented, using initiative and keeping commitments
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your detailed application (including application letter, CV and copies of education qualification)
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and properly fill the application form found via the following LINK by not later than Friday, June 2nd, 2023
• Late applications will not be accepted.
• “SOS Children’s Villages International holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes”.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.