TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICE TO CONDUCT ACCESSIBILITY AUDIT OF GAHINI DISTRICT HOSPITAL
1. Background information
The convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities of 2006 reinforces and strengthens protection for persons with disabilities in relation to health and rehabilitation. It recognizes that persons with disabilities have the right to the highest attainable standard of health and the State parties must recognize that right without discrimination on the basis of disability. (Art 25).
In this framework, Rwanda has made significant progress towards realizing the rights of Persons with disabilities and call upon the Rwandan community to bear in mind that Persons with Disabilities have the full rights and freedom to use all types of building independently. (Ministerial order on Urban planning and building regulations of 18thth May 2015).
Gahini Hospital is situated in Kayonza District in the Eastern Province of Rwanda. The Hospital is owned by Gahini Anglican Diocese, a well-established CBM partner since 1982 and is actually a Government recognized District Hospital.
The Hospital has been benefiting CBM supports in different areas focusing on physical rehabilitation services and eye care services. Gahini Hospital received supports from the Ministry of Health and CBM which set up new premises in the rehabilitation services department, surgical services and maternity in addition to other existing buildings. It is in this regards that with CBM support, Gahini Hospital wishes to recruit the suitable and experienced consultant/s to carry out its accessibility audit.
2. Objectives of the audit
2.1. Overall objective of the audit
The general objective of the Gahini Hospital accessibility audit shall be to suggest to the administration of the hospital some measures to reasonable accommodation in order to ensure full inclusion and accessibility of persons with disabilities within the facility.
2.2. Specific objectives
Specific objectives of the accessibility audit shall be:
• To assess whether persons with disabilities are able to access facilities without any barriers either walking or on public transport.
• To assess whether persons with disabilities are able to enter the hospital buildings with ease to access services.
• To gauge the ease with which persons with disabilities can circulate vertically and horizontally within the hospital premises.
• To evaluate the usability of the facilities of Gahini eye unit by persons with disabilities.
• Checking the accessibility of services within the premises including non-accessibility to the toilets, parking, stairway and beds.
3. Key deliverable of the accessibility audit.
An accessibility audit report complete with recommendations for improving and achieving reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities in Gahini Hospital.
4. Consultancy timeline
The consultant shall report to Gahini Hospital during the duration of the assignment not exceeding 10 calendar days after the accessibility audit is finished. Further work schedule will be discussed and agreed upon with the Hospital leadership.
3. Qualifications, Experience and Skills needed
• High degree in Social Sciences, community or international development, economic and social development related studies, civil engineering, etc.
• Proven experience in the field of Disability, Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID), Health services, Livelihood or Socio-economic development of persons with disabilities
• Proven experience with accessibility audit exercises in the past within recognised organisation(s).
• The team will have an experienced and registered civil engineer with extended records in designing and buildings evaluation and related settings for the sake of persons with disabilities
• Good understanding of the UNCRPD principles and experience working in mainstreaming human rights and fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities
• Expertise in the field of eye care settings (infrastructure and services) is an asset
• Proficiency in written and spoken English
6. Application process
Interested consultants should submit the following documents:
1.Technical proposal including:
• Profile (s) and capacity of the consultant(s) with evidence documents (CVs and certificates of good service completion, documents for similar works carried out by the consultant(s), registration and tax exemption in cease of company,
• Methodology and technical implementation of the audit, responsibilities of team members, work schedule, and other relevant information related to this work.
• Financial proposition anda availability of the team members
The applicants should submit their documents not later than 1st September 2021 at 5:00pm, to the email below of the Hospital. Only applications submitted on time will be considered for evaluation.
Dr. NGABIRE NKUNDA Philippe
DG of Gahini Hospital.