Jobs at:SMART Africa
Deadline of this Job:
19 September 2021
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government and a wide range of stakeholders including the private sector, international non-government organisations, and academia to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Smart Africa agenda is led by visionary Heads of State who believe in ICT’s power for the advancement and betterment of the African continent. This agenda will lead Africa to the 04th industrial revolution, using the transformative power of ICTs through a successful implementation and deployment of major ICT infrastructure, applications, services, and creating local relevant content for Africa while developing a vibrant ICT industry and creating jobs.
Smart Africa aims to put ICT at the Center of the National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries, improve access to ICT, especially Broadband, improve accountability, efficiency and openness through ICT. It promotes the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication while putting the Private Sector first, and leveraging ICT to promote sustainable development. Visit https://smartafrica.org/ for more information about Smart Africa.
II. JOB RELATIONSHIPS AND DUTIES
The Accountant - Financial Reporting and Audits Support will be part of the Finance team under the Finance and Operations Department. She/He will report to the Head of Corporate Services and will collaborate closely with the Payables Accountant, Grant Officer and Procurement Officer
The key responsibility the Accountant - Financial Reporting and Audits Support will be to ensure timely delivery of accurate financial statements and to facilitate timely completion of internal and external audits. More specifically, the duties of the Accountant - Financial Reporting and Audits Support will cover the following work areas
1. Audits and liquidation verifications
(1) Maintain a schedule for timely internal audits, projects’ external audits, projects’ liquation verification and organization-wide external audits
(2) Facilitate internal and external audits and projects’ liquation verifications
(3) Provide financial reports, supporting documents and other information for audits and projects’ liquidation verifications
(4) Assist to respond to audit findings
(5) Ensure and track the implementation
2. Financial statements
(1) Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports including balance sheets, statements of income and expenditure per donor funds and consolidated
(2) Prepare timely annual financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards
(3) Prepare monthly projects’ financial reports and reconciliations of projects’ cash status
3. Receivables and membership contributions
(1) Monitor membership contributions invoices and receipts
(2) Initiate follow-up on actions required for outstanding invoices to ensure cash is received
(3) Prepare the monthly accounts receivable statements and initiate follow-up actions needed
4. Accounting records and reconciliations
(1) Review all accounting entries to ensure they are appropriately posted on the correct accounts, budget lines, funds in accordance with internal policy and accounting standards
(2) Review accounts’ balances and reconcile with breakdown and transactions detail
(3) Perform balance sheet review including payable, receivable and cash status
(4) Review budget versus actual reports
(5) Review VAT refund reconciliations
(6) Review fuel stock and consumption records
(7) Review supplies stock and consumption records
5. Fixed Assets
(1) Ensure proper tracking system of fixed assets including tagging
(2) Ensure completeness of fixed assets records
(3) Maintain up to date fixed assets register
(4) Maintain up to date depreciation schedules and post depreciation entries
(5) Carry out joint physical verifications of fixed assets and report appropriate actions including tagging, repair, write-off, disposal, etc.
6. Accounts closure
Handle timely monthly, quarterly and annual close including journals for
deferred income and earned revenue,
depreciation and amortization charges
7. Liquidity management
(1) Update cash requirement forecasts based on payables, committed expenses, service requests, and budgeted expenses
(2) Analyze the liquidity health taking into account bank balances and planned disbursements
(3) Report on monthly and quarterly forecasted liquidity requirements and alert on needed actions
8. Internal controls and Compliance
(1) Ensure relevant internal controls in place are effective in all areas of financial management
(2) Assess continuously the effectiveness internal controls and the efficiency work processes
(3) Ensure compliance with internal policies and laws relating to financial operations
Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor
III. KEY QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
(i) Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or related fields is required;
(ii) Professional accounting certification is required
(i) A minimum of five (5) years of work experience in financial accounting, financial auditing, or other relevant work experience fields
(ii) Working experience in preparation of financial statements in accordance to International Financial Reporting Standards is required
(iii) Working experience in facilitating internal and external audits is required
(iv) Working experience in declaration of PAYE taxes, social security contributions and withholding taxes will be an asset.
(v) Working experience in refund of Value Added Tax will be an asset.
(vi) Working experience in using accounting software e.g SAP, SAGE, SunSystems, Microsoft Dynamics, etc. will be an asset.
(i) Ability to collaborate with the team and deliver as part of a team.
(ii) Good interpersonal skills.
(iii) Ability to work well in a multicultural environment.
(iv) Willingness to learn new skills related to the job.
(v) Effective written and verbal communication skills.
(vi) Well organized with attention to detail.
(vii) Proficiency in MS Excel.
Proficiency in written and oral English or French, proficiency in both will be an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 19th September 2021.
A CV in either English or French;
A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to these terms of reference;
Copies of academic, professional, and other relevant certificates
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.