Jobs at:Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS)
Deadline of this Job:
15 November 2021
Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Supervisor: Expert, Budget and Accounting
Duty Station: OACPS Secretariat, Belgium
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Expert-Budget and Accounting, the Assistant Accountant provides financial services and support in financial administration, accounting and reporting, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Assistant Accountant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with OACPS Rules and Regulations.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with all OACPS Secretariat staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery, as well as maintain contacts with the Secretariat’s bankers and other stakeholders concerning financial matters.
In the absence of the Expert-Budget and Accounting, the incumbent serves as authorising officer for designated Secretariat accounts.
Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Prepares and presents accounting reports, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Update and maintenance of accounting transactions and documents
• Production of relevant financial statements
• Accounting follow-up of meetings and seminars organised and financed by the OACPS Secretariat
• Presentation of accurate and reliable information on the status of financial resources as required
• Update of journal of contributions
2. Manages the payroll system, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Timely preparation and calculation of staff salaries
• Assurance of accuracy
3. Provides accounting and administrative support, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Update of accounting plan
• Maintenance of proper analytical accounts
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution; recording of invoices; drawing up of a payment schedule
• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system, which ensures that vouchers are processed, matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted
• Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers
• Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables
• Management of cash receipts and petty cash
• Reconciliation of al bank account statements against the cash ledger
• Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents
4. Provides support in the administration of the Budget and Expenditure Control, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Provide guidance and support to departments as and when required to assist in budget preparation
• Ensure approved budgets are loaded onto the accounting and budget software in a timely, accurate and complete manner
• Support the Expert-Finance and Accounting in undertaking budget and expenditure control
• Monitor and report on expenditure on a periodic basis
• Investigate variances and discuss with budget holders and seek justification
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the OACPS Secretariat’s financial services and success in the implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information ensures proper financial processes in the organisation.
• Demonstrates commitment to the OACPS’ mission, vision and values
• Displays courtesy, tact and the ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
• Takes initiative and seeks opportunities to initiate action
• Accepts team role, contributes to the work of the team actively and constructively
• Stays calm and maintains composure under stress or during a crisis keeping disruptive emotions under control
• Actively seeks learning opportunities, adopting best practices created by others
• Ability to perform a variety of specialised activities related to financial resources management, including maintaining Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, conducting transactions, reporting.
• Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations
• Ability to handle a large volume of work, possibly under time constraints
• Strong IT skills
• Good oral and written knowledge of English and/or French
• Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
• Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
• Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organising and Multi-Tasking:
• Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
• Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
• Diploma in Accountancy
• A minimum of 5 years of accounting experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based accounting management systems.
• Good oral and written knowledge of English and/or French. Knowledge of Portuguese or Spanish an asset.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed and may be assessed through other methods.
Candidates for the position are subject to local recruitment in accordance with the Employment Regulations of the OACPS Secretariat and must have the legal right to live and work in Belgium.
Staff Members of the OACPS are subject to the authority of and duties assigned by the Secretary General and will discharge their functions under conditions established by the Secretary General.
All employment decisions are made on the suitability of the candidate and the needs of the OACPS. Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.
The appointment to this position is for an initial period of 1 year and renewal thereof is subject to the needs of the OACPS and availability of the post or funds.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications for this post should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com and must reach the Secretariat by midnight on the deadline date.
Applications must be accompanied by an updated curriculum vitae completed in the following format: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Applications in another format will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further evaluation. Applicants must provide copies of degrees, diplomas, certificates and any other document attesting to their competence and professional experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and those under serious consideration will be subjected to reference checks.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.