Jobs at:United Nations Development Programme
Deadline of this Job:
11 November 2022
Date Posted: Friday, October 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP works in around 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System. It serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan. UNDP’s 2018-2021 Strategic Plan emphasizes the critical links between environmental sustainability, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and broader efforts to achieve the goals of the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement. UNDP promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas. UNDP works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and implement the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country
This position opens for Rwanda Nationals Only.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Associate and direct supervisor, the Finance Assistant provides financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
Duties & Responsibilities
1) Implementation of operational strategies
• Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
• He/ She inputs to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2) Functioning of cost-recovery system
• Provision of inputs for preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP, follow up on cost recovery.
3) Accounting and administrative support
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers for projects and on-behalf of non-Atlas Agencies; PO vouchers; Pay Cycle and payment execution.
• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed
• Timely corrective actions including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
• Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
• Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables and recording of deposits in Atlas.
• Management of cash receipts and petty cash.
• Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
• Be the liaison agent with the bank on all issues related to delays in payments to vendors and ensure vendors do collect their cheques as soon as they are ready.
• Monitor the Vat account, ensure timely VAT reimbursements and the perform quarterly VAT account analysis and accounts closure as required
4) CO cash management & Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
• Alternate to Finance Associate (ICS-6) for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
• Alternate to Finance Associate (ICS-6) for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
• Stop payment initiation on internet banking systems.
• Preparation of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
• Perform the bank to book reconciliation as required
• Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas.
• Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: NO
Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance is required. University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
• 5 years of relevant finance experience at the national or international level is desirable.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is required.
• Experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
• Fluency (both oral and written) in English and Working knowledge of French
• LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
• LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
• LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
• LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible Act with Determination
Act with Determination
• LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
• LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
• LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Finance – Accounting (General)
• Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
Finance – Banking and cash management
• Ability to collect, handle, and manage cash, which involves assessing market liquidity, cash flow, and investments
Finance- Budget management
• Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Finance- Contributions management
• Ability to receive, record, report and manage contributions received
Administration & Operations- T&E Cash Advance Reconciliation
• Knowledge of policy and procedures on T&E cash advance reconciliation; ability to link T&E Cash Advance transactions with transactions in the General Ledger including case analysis for clearances for staff separating from the organization
Finance-Anti-fraud and anti-bribery and corruption
• Understanding the policy and best practice relating to anti-bribery and corruption control. Anti-fraud: Understands the fraud risks faced by public bodies and being able to effectively analyse data to support fraud identification and fraud risk management; understands the fraud risks faced by public bodies and is able to conduct fraud risk assessment and response plan
Ethics- Financial Disclosure and Conflict of Interest
• Analyse and eliminate or mitigate potential and actual conflicts of interest disclosed in the annual financial disclosure programme
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web."
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.