Finance and Administration Officer
Jobs at:African Wildlife Foundation (AWF)
Deadline of this Job:
19 February 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance and Administration Officer, Rwanda
The Finance & Administration Officer (FAO) works closely with the Country Director, program teams and supervisor to support efficient implementation of AWF’s conservation programs. He/She will be responsible for providing technical leadership, advice and assistance in Finance and Administration to support the Rwanda AWF Country Office Program to ensure compliance with all AWF and donor budgetary and procedural requirements. This entails the provision of regular assistance and advice in understanding, interpreting and implementing AWF and donor’s policies and procedures regarding finance, administration, logistics and procurement along with maintaining a good relationship with and timely reporting to the headquarter and partners. In addition, this position will also ensure efficient and effective coordination and management of logistics and support Rwanda program procurement to ensure good value for money. The FAO is the key linking point within the program teams to understand, interpret and implement financial policies and budget plans. It will also involve working with the HR department on specific elements of HR such as payroll, recruitment and onboarding processes, including supporting the AWF Centralized Accounting System. The position holder directly reports to the AWF Rwanda Country Director and will be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
• Ensure that the team understands and adheres to AWF and donor financial and administrative policies and procedures.
• Ensure that internal controls are respected to ensure the integrity of financial and accounting information and to protect the assets of AWF.
• Report all instances of known or suspected fraud and abuse promptly.
• Learn donor contracts so as to be in a position to advise on compliance with the use of donor funds and associated accounting.
• Ensure staff compliance with time reporting requirements
• Coordinate cash flow operations for the in-country programs by ensuring timely projections of cash as per established workplans.
• Ensure smooth month-end close process for Rwanda
• Ensure AWF subgrantees, co-applicants and partners comply with AWF and donor regulations
• Oversee DRC statutory filings and maintenance of records thereof
• Perform Bank and Cash reconciliation and obtain appropriate review and sign-off from the Country Coordinator and HQ Finance team prior to filing of the same.
• Process Payroll in compliance with statutory requirements of DRC (payroll taxes, and other requirements as required by the government of Rwanda
Finance and Accounting roles
• Provide support to field staff in several functions varying from system training and assisting with accounting approvals to facilitate urgent and compliant implementation of programs.
• Participate in the development and understand country program work plans and budgets to ensure appropriate expense coding in the accounting system.
• Ensure all financial procedures are performed for an effective month-end closure by DRC finance staff and share a complete and accurate month-end checklist with Nairobi HQ.
• Actively participate in grant cost proposals, support DRC program workplan development
• Ensure programmatic commitments, AWF policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance
• Assist with coordinating grant, country and internal audit within Rwanda as well as supporting AWF’s organizational audit.
• Work collaboratively with others teams and departments in other landscapes, including Nairobi HQ and Washington DC.
• Serve as creative and thought partner to the Rwanda Country Director and provide solutions and professional advice in the course of implementing Rwanda Country programs.
• Manage Rwanda cash position to ensure that the Rwanda does not run out of cash by maintaining up-to-date accounts payable balances and requesting cash whenever needed and well in advance of required payment dates. Ensure that Finance team at HQ is aware of upcoming large payments.
• Ensure that staff travel advances are disbursed timely and accounted by staff upon return. Obtain receipts/supporting documentation from staff, scan and attach to expense entry in the Accounting System.
• In collaboration with AWF HQ procurement team, Country Director, Rwanda and the program teams, ensure that procurement requirements are followed and maintained through a well tracked country procurement plan
• Oversee optimum use of AWF vehicles and ensure AWF motor vehicle usage policy is adhered to by all staff.
• Oversee staff travel and movements within the Rwanda. Develop and maintain a travel calendar for DRC team to ensure efficient travel planning and resource-sharing wherever possible
• Oversee asset and inventory management and ensure adequate tracking and insurance thereof.
• In coordination with the finance team at HQ and program teams ensure integrated internal controls, timely payment of vendors and full, auditable procurement support documentation filing.
• Conduct timely quarterly asset verifications & reconciliations and solicit adequate acquisition or disposal approval from donors or internally within AWF’s Administration department
• Provide security briefing to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures. This includes briefing to all newly recruited staff.
• Ensure that all in-country facilities adhere to safety and security requirements as may be stipulated by local laws and as outlined in the requirements for AWF occupied facilities.
• Facilitate work permits for international staff and visas for staff and partners traveling to
• Provide staff with all relevant financial and technical information such as policies and procedures, tools and templates, necessary for them to be successful in their duties.
• Ensure the Finance and Administration team in Rwanda develop a strong culture of facilitation and support for the field projects without compromising compliance.
• Establish high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ensure consistent and high level of customer service delivery.
• Provide periodic staff training on internal control procedures and accounting tools.
• Promote professional, teamwork and confidentiality
• Undertake any other relevant duties
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance and related, Bookkeeping Certified Public Accountancy qualification is an advantage.
• At least 5 years working experience in the areas of accounting, general insurance, tenancy, logistics and procurement preferably in a donor/grant funded non-profit
• Excellent knowledge of industry best practices and the ability to translate this knowledge into policies and procedures within
• Fluency in both French and
• Excellent customer service skills with the ability to handle challenging situations quickly, accurately, and
• Strong management and mentoring skills, with at least 2 years of supervisory
• Proficiency in the use of computers especially, Microsoft Excel and Word, and accounting Experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV or Serenic Navigator is ideal
• Familiarization with government regulations, g., taxes, VAT/duty frees requirements, etc.
• Strong written and verbal communication Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and to prioritize them.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision, and as part of a
• Commitment to AWF and its
• Ability to respect deadlines
• Unwavering integrity and the courage to intervene to detect and prevent fraud
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.